Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Chris Commander 45

I am going to look at an early 70's Chris Commander 45' next weekend as I need a bigger boat for a growing family. I have always been fond of the old Flush Decks and have one concern. What was the logic or thought process behind putting gas engines in a 40K lb + boat? I have pasted the response from the owner to the broker regarding my first pre-look questions and was wandering what your thoughts were regarding engine WOT rpm and such.

"Steve, I have owned the boat since 2002. It came from the 1000 Islands in upstate NY where it was shed kept and sold new. I do not have any history on major work such as the manifolds and risers. I had the heads done on the port engine last year and the boat was hauled and bottom painted last year. The engines have 937 hours and the generator about the same.The engines and generator are fresh water cooled. The boat does have a windless. The two 16,000 BTU AC units have reverse cycle heating and were added I believe in the mid 80's. Prior to my purchase the vessel was used by the resort owner as his personal boat for several years. He added the radar and chart plotter. The Taft rail was replaced 2 years ago and the plastic enclosure is in good condition. The refrigerator is a GE apartment size that was in the boat and works fine. There is no icemaker. The boat is run around 2000 - 2200 RPM's and gives me a cruise speed of about 10 knots. I do not run at WOT, however, the last time I opened up, we were about 3000 RPM's with a indicated speed of 17 knots. I have had no work done on any of throttle or shift cable and the hydraulic steering and tabs are all in good operating condition. Gary has all the service records for work I have had done since coming to the marina in 2002. I am not aware of any soft spots or delaminating."

Re: Chris Commander 45

3000 RPM at WOT is way too low for any gas engine, regardless of brand, but perhaps it's nothing more serious than an out of adjustment throttle cable.

I'm no expert on gas/diesel vs boat size but 45' seems rather large and heavy for gas engines in a recreational boat from everything I've read. Was that (gassers) common in these boats?

45 feet is about as large as I would ever consider for gas power. In the mid 60s, CC built some 46 woodies and steel Roamers with side oiler 427s and 431 Lincolns, with most of the survivors ending up with 454s.
    The 46 Commanders would top out around 22 mph @ 4000, and those old Fords didnt like it too much. Old 44 Pacemakers ran 409 Chevies of all things!
    I cant imagine fuel burn on dual quads at 4000 rpm ... X 2 !!!
    After running the sub for 1500 miles, I am reluctant to launch the 36 with the 454s next year. I guess I have become complacent about fuel handling, and changing filters etc. The worst thing about #2 is the lingering odor for the guests. Gas odor means FUMES. IMHO. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-10-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Since BOTH engines max out at 3000 RPMs it almost sounds like someone put the wrong props on.

If this is the boat...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=13944&url=

What a deal on a beautiful boat!

I don't know what your budget can stand but this thing is begging for repower. 400+ HP Yanmars would sit well. At the asking price of $45,000 you got a little room make some serious improvements.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

I think you meant 85K.. That's the boat. My first thought as well was the boat is overpropped for those engines, we'll see.

Horsepower is horsepower, regardless of whether it comes from gas, diesel, hippy, or turbine.

I owned a fiberglass Trojan F-44 flushdeck FBMY for 12 years. She was powered by 440/330hp Chryslers. She had ample power and cruised at 20kts. The gas motors were great. Easy to maintain - easier for DIY maintenance and the fuel burn was about the same as many large diesel MYs, about 1mpg. As you probably know, the CC MYs were well built, ride well in weather and had a pleasing design. Many of these up here around the Great Lakes - they enjoy a good reputation and reasonable resale.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Not to be a hard ass but at 85k why would anyone buy a big boat like this with gas engines. Between the fuel burn, safety, reliability why not take the 85k in a very soft market and buy a 43 hatt? Diesels, solid construction, good wiring and normally 6-71's.
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Not at all Bill, I'm looking at several of these as well. A couple of differences, however, would include a much larger flybridge, more aft deck space, about a foot more in beam and a much larger aft stateroom. The engines are obviously my main concern, not so much for consumption, as I won't be cruising that far in the next two years or so, but for being reasonalby reliable. The interior of the boat is certainly dated, however, I can live with it for a while before considering a re-do or a resale! Resale is the big issue as very few people are interested in gas motors in a boat this size. Obviously I'm struggling with it. So keep those opinions coming...

For those of you following this thread see the latest response regarding engine performance below. I have asked what the fuel tanks are made of on this boat, I'd guess alum. but we'll see. I am aware of ethanol issues as it relates to fiberglass tanks, but not affecting performance???

Good Morning Scott, This is the reply from the owner.

Ever since the Ethanol fuel arrived they droped to about 3000. They did get into the mid 3000 and run about 17 knots per the GPS. Maybe it is both the gas and age. The props are 4 blade, I don't know the size for sure, but think 22 or 24".

Thanks,

Any thoughts...