Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: repower Again

repower Again

Well I did it. Installed a pair of Yanmar 8SY (900hp) in a 1981 stretched 50C (now 53ft). It was not an eazy installation as I did it without tearing up the salon. I cut a 5x5 hole in the salon floor up against the rear bulkhead and came in through an enlarged back window. I had to modify the stringers as well. But with a down angle ZF 350 box it sure is a much better installation than the DDEC 8V92 (760hp) which had a straight shaft on ZF BW 165 gear box.

The engines are a big improvement over the 8V92's as the fuel consumption is almost 1/2 at 1700 rpm. I kept the same props (contur carbon fibre) and we are getting better speed as well as she can now cruise at 2000 RPM - no overheating - and get 25knts!!. I will post the sea trial results later with some pictures.

Re: repower Again

Big fishing guy did that to an older 50 down here and would run it wide open in 4-6 foot seas. Some bulkheads (actualy FRP tabbing on the bulkhead connecting it to the hullside) starting coming apart after a couple of months. Be easy on her. Sounds like a great job. They loved the new engines...

Captned

WOW, half the fuel consumption?

Are they new high-tech motors as bulletproof as the old detroits?

140 more HP and half the fuel consumption? Wow is right.

I'd recheck the fuel calculations or recalibrate the flow meter!