Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

running wires through flybridge top

We finally got our top installed, now i need to intstall the electrical components. I'm putting two spreader lights, anchor light, and the GPS antenna for now, i need a plate installed for the radar so that's postponed. No special design was installed for running the wires so i'm at yall's mercy. I really don't want to pay someone to do this because it doesn't seem too dificult. Can anyone help me out with this? What will i need and what's the best way to run the wires. I appreciate any help, as always.

Re: running wires through flybridge top

some string and a leaf blower!

If it were me, I would start at the 'final location' where you plan to install the fixture the farthest away from where you wires will 'come from'. Use an electrician's 'snake' made for routing wires and work it down through all of the holes, passages and areas the wires must go. Once down to your 'starting point' tape all of your wires/cables at the end into one long smooth streamlined end, wrapping tape around it for about 10-12" like a baseball bat handle. Then tape this heavily to your snake and gently pull it back through the routing. I like to lubricate this taped cable with Polamolive Dish Soap or a lubricant especially made for electrian's use. As your snake/cable comes past the various 'exits' where new wires go to fixtures, remove each wire at the correct location - the last wire should be for the farthest fixture - your snake starting point. Hope this makes sense.
    Depending on your routing, sometimes a very heavy guage wire can act like a snake, just maaake a 'J hook' in the end and tape it closed before pulling it back through with your cables.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Thanks for the help! That makes perfect sense, the electrician snake tool is what i'm missing. Once again, i appreciate it.
    Skrmetta90
    "Longitude 90" - 1973 45C
    Biloxi, MS

If it's too hard to run them as one bundle, you can run them one at a time, with a string attached to each. The string becomes the "pull" for the next wire to pull through.

The soap mentioned helps more than you might think, particularly when there are multiple cables.....rubber or plastic linings rubbing against the same creates a lot of friction.

Leave one pull string behind for the wire you'll want to run in a year or so....
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

I like the string & leave blower idea, except instead of a leaf blower, use a vaccuum. Easier to control and you can run several strings, each teminating at different points.

The problem with the snake & wire bundle idea is it may be tough to peal off the intermediate wires bound up with 12" of elec tape