Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Vibration at WOT

"Never trust anyone else to do anything" has, unfortunately, been my motto for many years. It's why I got my SCUBA certification a couple years ago - so I can do all the underwater work myself.

If you do it yourself you know it's been done right and if you cut a corner at least you KNOW you cut a corner. That way subsequent problems that might occur because of it won't be a surprise.

Mike,

Same reason I got mine...and I agree with the do it yourself...the only problem is that we have such growth so quick, and I only have limited time to enjoy the boat (oh, to be retired or near the boat) that doing the bottom myself just took up to much time and effort, when so many other things were demanding attention also.

Thanks all,

Rick

Mike P,
    Not disputing your post on setting the slave engine WOT governor higher just trying to understand it.

My Glen-d has 2 adjustable collars on the shafts that traverse in-out of the unit and can be adjusted to hit a button on high-limit switch (WOT) and a button on low-limit switch(Idle) that will disengage the sync if activated.

Based on that why would you want to mess with your WOT governor on the slave? Are you not inviting a run-away? Again, you know a lot more than I do and I'm just trying to understand...
    Mike Stailey
    1978 43 DC/FB

For the synchronizer to maintain the engs in synch at idle and at WOT requires opposite settings which are done individually at the engines. Let's say you want the engines to Idle at 550 and the WOT setting to be 2500 (no load).

For idle you set up the LEAD engine at the idle you want - 550, and the slave engine at say, 530. For no load WOT you adjust the lead engs governor to produce 2500 and the slave eng governor at say, 2520 (or maybe drop the lead to 2480 and put the slave at 2500 - whatever).

The reason you do this is because the Glen is trying to always match the slave to the lead. If at idle the slave engine is set to idle at 600 while the lead is set to idle at 550, the Glen cannot bring the slave down to the lead's idle speed and it will disengage. Same is true at WOT. If the lead is set at 2500 and the slave at 2480, it can't increase the slave's speed to match the lead and it will disconnect.

So if you want the engs to be able to be synched at idle and wot - lots of folks don't care - then the appropriate idle speeds must be set on the engines as well as the appropriate gov adjustments for WOT.
    Last edited by MikeP; 06-28-2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Correct grammar