Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cutlass Bearings and Pedro Tubes

Purchased our 1975 42' Convertible approximately nine months ago from a divorce sale (wife got the Hatteras). As such, we didn't have the opportunity to speak to the husband about maintanance and such. As a result, I've been completing the maintanance on everything to give myself a baseline from which to start for future reference.

As the engine maintanance is nearly complete, I'm turning to the bottom of the hull, the props, cutlass bearings, stuffing boxes, packings, and pedro tubes. The props are out to a reputable shop to be scanned, etc. The cutlass bearings will be R&R'd tomorrow. The packings will be replaced with GFO packing. Only question, is there one type of pedro tube better than another. They look like exhaust hose, and I've replaced my raw water intake hoses with Trident hose. Is the same thing used for the pedro tubes, or are there specific pedro tube pieces? As always, any help would be appreciated.

Re: Cutlass Bearings and Pedro Tubes

Many use the no wire exhaust hose, my preference is the HD 5 ply hose. Buck Algonquin sells the 5 ply stuff for shaft logs. It is pricey though.

Great. Thanks for the info. Want to do it right the first time with quality materials so that I don't have to worry about it again for a while.

Pedro tube? Thats a new one to me. The name that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Captned View Post
    Pedro tube? Thats a new one to me. The name that is...

Yep, new one for me too. I thought he was referring to the tunnels dug under the US/Mexico border.....

When you replace them, make sure you get T-bolt hose clamps instead of the standard type. They're much better, lamp evenly and tighter. Only problam is that you've got to get the exact diameter of the clamps you need (2 on each end of the tube) because they have a limited range diameter. Like you said.... do it right the first time.

Doug Shuman

Will do reference the clamps. Actually had replaced the originals with new T-bolt clamps after seeing a thread on here about rusted clamps letting go late last year. Spoke to the yard today...They are advising they normally use wire reinforced hose. Any reason specifically why not to use wire reinforced hose?

YES! DO NOT use the wire hose it will not last more than a couple years. The water will get to the wire and rust it out, the wire hose has a thin wall as well. Personally I hate the T bolt clamps, they do not last any longer and do not clamp evenly. I use the AWAB clamps on shaft logs, they are 316 SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    Yep, new one for me too. I thought he was referring to the tunnels dug under the US/Mexico border.....

LOL, that thought hit me too, but I didn't want to be accused of "hate speach" on the forum :-)
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com