Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

A hard to find screw

I had Slane Marine build me fiberglass spray rails (below the cockpit) to replace the original mahogany ones that were damaged in the storms a few years ago. In order to mount them to the boat, they need to be bolted through the hull...so for that, I'm using 1/4X20 4" SS flat head bolts with locknuts.

My dilemma is that there are 13 bolt holes in each rail...and I can't physically get to the inside of the hull to install nuts since there is a fuel tank and exhaust back there. So...I want to use bolts where I can, and self tapping screws where I have no access. To do this, I need at least 4" screws(5" would be better) no smaller than a #14 with a flat or oval head. I have been looking for a few weeks to no avail. They can be SS, brass, bronze...doesnt matter to me. Anything to get the job done. Thanks.

Jason

Talking Re: A hard to find screw

at first I was wondering where this was headed !!
    45C360-1970 ... "Good Bait" - Sag Harbor,NY
    31 Bertram Bahia Mar-1970 ... "Bertramp" - Ft Lauderdale
    21 Whaler Impact-1996 ... Ft Lauderdale, FL/Sag Harbor, NY

Re: A hard to find screw

Just looked on McMaster Carr a minute or 2 and found this
    90000A755 5" @14 square drive flat head wood screw.
    You could probably find something even closer to what you need given time to search

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Before giving up on the bolts and nuts, and I have no idea how tight your space is, but have you thought about having a young boy crawl in there and put the washers and nuts on the back of the bolts? That worked real well for me a little while back when I had a kid crawl through an access panel in the back of a cabinet and crawl down into a void spot where he could actually just stand there and put the washers and nuts on the back of the bolts as I drove them through from the outside on my rubrail.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I think you found what I need. I have never dealt with McMaster Carr...didn't even know they sold fasteners like that! But...I looked through their online catalog, and still cant find what you pulled up. Their search function however, pulls it up as a package of 10 #14 X 5" 18-8 SS wood screws for $7.16. Thanks for the quick response.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Before giving up on the bolts and nuts, and I have no idea how tight your space is, but have you thought about having a young boy crawl in there and put the washers and nuts on the back of the bolts?
    Ang,

I thought of this...but I really don't want to get a little guy in there, laying on the exhaust hoses. Call me paranoid, but that seems like more stress on the clamps than I want on them. Also, the space is TIGHT...less than 16" from tank to hull. And he'd have to slither forward like 8' to get all the nuts on.

Jason

I use my 11yr old daughter for stuff like this. she is only 64lbs but strong and an ox. Competative cheerleader. her nick name is engine room rat while on board at home she is "the termite"