Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: detroit parts

Re: detroit parts

That finger tight reference was to exhaust system strain only !!
    I had that old four speed gear box out of that 850 Norton almost weekly. Being 18 and mashing down on that gear shifter with my RIGHT heel at WOT didnt help either !! All I remember about that thing was the diaphragm clutch spring being held in by a wound up 8 inch snap ring. I had to call a limey pal over to translate that manual. Blimey mate!
    The other wonderful memory was breaking down at 3 a.m. 200 miles from nowhere due to a Zener diode with a bad ground on a brand new motorcycle.
    Ah, Lucas electrics. A HD guy stopped with a small set of jumper cables and charged my battery for me. Had to make the drive home on the daytime running light only.
    Went to take the '78 FLH to breakfast today and busted the starter bendix.
    I think I'll go install the new crapper on the HattTrick today... at least I know what to expect LOL. Just trimmed my fingernails in preparation. ws

You meet the nicest people on a Honda!! LOL ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-03-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Brian, I'm in Ohio so if no luck on finding the part I will try to find a fabricator. It is just a hot elbow (no water). Should I have it made from cast iron or can I have someone just machine it out of metal.

To make it out of cast iron would be much to costly. I would simply fabricate the flanges out of steel and use the proper size pipe and a weld elbow and just weld the whole thing up. Simple as can be some might go into expansion and contraction of steel and a whole bunch of overly scientific crap but the reason the original is cast iron is because if your going to make a thousand or more cast is cheaper. If you going to make one a steel weldment is the best way. Now repeat after me STEEL IS REAL can you tell I like steel? I sware it has nothing to do with the fact that I earn a living building steel boats.

Brian