Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: detroit parts

detroit parts

Can anyone recommend a website or store to find used detroit parts? I am in need of a replacement exhaust manifold adaptor for a 4-53t and the part is obsolete. Parts guys at detroit and covington have been looking- the detroit guy said he used all his resources and no luck. Any help would be great.
    -Chad

Re: detroit parts

By Adaptor do you mean the cast iron piece that bolts to the back of the manifold and allows you to thread in a 4" pipe?

Brian

www.boatdiesel.com is good. Might cost you $25.00 to post threads though, but worth it if you are serious about doing your own maintenance.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

This piece connects the manifold to the turbo- it is cast iron and is almost a 45 degree elbow up to the turbo. I have posted this on boatdiesel too, hopefully there will be something out there.

Get the old original Detroit part number and google it. I found two of a hard to get part that way by googling "Detroit Diesel" and the number. One was on eBay and the other at a boat repair parts reseller.

Doug Shuman

6. Re: detroit parts

Chad,

Send me the detailed information to: swanpointmarina@hotmail.com

I know a guy who has more old parts than the detroit people.

This piece connects the manifold to the turbo- it is cast iron and is almost a 45 degree elbow up to the turbo. I have posted this on boatdiesel too, hopefully there will be something out there.

I'm assuming there is no water jacket just a hot conection probably flanged at both ends? If I'm correct why don't you just have it made by a steel fabricator? If I'm understanding you corectly it should be something that would be pretty easy to make.

I'm not sure where your located I'm in Tampa FL if you don't have anyone who can make it email me a Photo trainman484848@aol.com I have a fab shop we should be able to do it.

Brian

Brian, I'm in Ohio so if no luck on finding the part I will try to find a fabricator. It is just a hot elbow (no water). Should I have it made from cast iron or can I have someone just machine it out of metal.

I think it would be cost prohibitive to have a piece cast for a "one off" part. Cast iron pieces can be brazed or electric welded, but due to exhaust temps, cycling and combustion impulses, the life expectancy would be dramatically cut short.
    I would make up the two plates you need and weld a piece of square tube to fab this part. Steel is the only way to go. Also, think about stress relieving this as well. Even steel can crack if not properly pre and post heated during welding.
    Any decent fabricator can whip one of these out in an hour.
    Is the old one beyond repair? You will need to duplicate it perfectly to avoid
    ANY strain whatsoever on any of the components. You should almost be able to re-assemble the entire assembly finger tight before wrenching anything ! ws

"You should almost be able to re-assemble the entire assembly finger tight before wrenching anything"

Bill - sounds like you never worked on a British Motorcycle!