Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: rebuilding our 12-71s - photos

I would thank the mechanic for his advice and put better air filters on there than oem...especially after spending a bunch of money on rebulids. If you have the old oem filters - big cans with some foam covers that usually don't actually cover the entire perforated area of the can - they are essentially NOT filtering the air at all.

These engines pass a lot of air and any dust or other particles act just like grit on those newly installed piston rings and cyl walls. There is no such thing as intake air that is too clean. K&Ns will cost you about $45 each which is insignificant in the scheme of things!

Thanks Mike and guys. I have decided to go with Racor CCVs. There appears to be too many questions/issues with Airseps.

The port engine is now about 80% reassembled. I wanted to chrome the valve covers but cannot find anyone to do it. Oh well.

I have a question about the starter(s) and alternator(s). They are not being rebuilt and they have not run diagnostics on them.

We had no problems with them at all to my knowledge. However, I am wondering whether I should have them checked now and/or just bit the bullet and get rebuilt.

Also, our batteries are now 4 years old. I would like to go back with something that takes up less room and weigh less, if possible. Any suggestions or advice?

Advice from you guys about the starter(s)/alternator(s) and replacement batteries will be appreciated. Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

Paul
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

I would like to see a photo of the guy who's laying under one of them to do the bottom end. I keep looking at mine and I'm just not seeing how that's possible.

Brian

Brian, I second your thoughts. On my boat, it would have to be a thin, short mechanic with 18" arms????? And then, what could he measure or see, much less tighten crankshaft mains. Plastigage in one hand and a torque wrench in the other?????? Hmmm . . . . . .
    I want to believe, but a picture would convince me.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Tawney1 View Post
    I have a question about the starter(s) and alternator(s). They are not being rebuilt and they have not run diagnostics on them.

We had no problems with them at all to my knowledge. However, I am wondering whether I should have them checked now and/or just bit the bullet and get rebuilt.

We have a local shop that rebuilds alternators and starters. The do an excellent job. You can bring them a starter/alternator and they will bench test it and tell you if it's up to spec...//

See if there is a similar shop in your area and have them check them out......

Quote Originally Posted by StratPlan61 View Post
    Brian, I second your thoughts. On my boat, it would have to be a thin, short mechanic with 18" arms????? And then, what could he measure or see, much less tighten crankshaft mains. Plastigage in one hand and a torque wrench in the other?????? Hmmm . . . . . .
    I want to believe, but a picture would convince me.
    Yeah after he mentioned that they weren't going to lift up or turn them I took a second look at mine thinking that maybe when it was striped down a bit it might be do able. And it might be but I'm just not seeing it mostly because of the containment area it's just to short and closed for and aft so I just got to see it.

Brian

Well guys, when I was first told they would not need to raise the block I was skeptical too. But -- break down an engine, remove the exhaust manifolds and the oil pan, and crawl under. lol. It is true -- at least on our 61'.

I actually saw the mechanic lying on his back and side in the bilge under the engine -- working. Of course, there was another mechanic there topside helping him.

I am 5'9", just under 175 lbs. -- the mechanic is about my size, maybe a tad or so shorter.... While checking out their work and just looking, I personally did not get completely under the engine --did not see the need to do so. But I can tell you that had I been so inclined, it would not have been a real problem.

I will try to get photos when they do the starboard engine.
    Last edited by Tawney1; 07-10-2007 at 12:31 AM.
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

8. Re: rebuilding our 12-71s - photos

There ain't a snowball's chance in hell you could have done that on Gigabite

Must be nice to have a 61.....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker