Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Life expectancy of a generator

I'd check if it's locked up first...that's the easiest to do! From there jump the solenoid with a jumper cable strait to the starter.

Mikep,

I thought about that possibility, but in retracing my steps I didn't come close to anything that would affect the operation from a power, etc., standpoint. I didn't touch the generator, its wiring, or the soundshield, etc.

Paul
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

Hi I'm pretty sure that unit doesn't have a starter it uses a winding in the electrical end to turn it over. If that's the case then solenoids plungers etc are not aplicable. There is a crank reset on the electrical end check that. Check to see it's got 32V getting to it. Remeber there's a battery switch in the stb engine room for the gensets.

If it's turning but not starting check the fuel solonid on the injection pump make sure conections are good and 32V is getting to that when you crank it.

Life expectancy I think at about 6000 your probobly on borrowed time the most common failure on them is the comutator rings in the electrical end and I don't think you can get them any more. But your problem sounds like it's probably something simple.

Replacing it? There should be a larger hatch about 6'x2' it's where the 2x2 hatch you mention is located probably hidden under carpet. From there (for me anyway) it's a tough decision weather to muscle it thru the pilot house galley and saloon. Or cut thru the roof above the hatch that would make removale and replacment a snap with a crane but of course then you got the fibergalss and woodwork and the headliner to deal with. Somewhere down the road I'm going to have to do that to mine and at least right now I'm thinking cut thru the roof. At least then all your work is in one area and both gens can be replaced for about the same effort.

Good luck
    Brian