Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gene Guest

Cruisair SMX circuit board repairs?

Does anybody know where to get the circuit boards in a Cruisair SMX (vintage 1990) thermostat/system controller fixed??? After calling over a dozen A/C shops, nobody is able to fix the boards, which are out of production. The only solution they all offer is $1,000 per unit to convert to a newer controller and run new wires through the boat (scary thought!). These boards have fairly simple Motorola 6803 processors, an EPROM and about 6 other TTL chips.....it should be a routine job to repair them.

I took a lightning hit several months ago and 6 of my 8 SMX systems are screwed up. I have a copy of the original schematics and found nearly identical faults on each- one or more of the 3 outputs to the "power" board to control the slow fan, compressor and reversing valve that are stuck "on".

BEC53 Guest

Boards

You might try Flight Systems in Lewisberg, PA. They fix the Hatteras 12 point monitor boards and they may be able to help you with these. Worth a call anyway.

crossruff Guest
    Please update this thread if anyone has any luck getting the SMX I boards repaired.

Re: Cruisair SMX circuit board repairs?

I just removed an old cruisair unit, are you still in need of the SMX control? If so, email me.

There are houses that fix random circuit boards...Google your requests looking for folks that repair older computers DEC, Data General etc.

If there are memory chips on the board, PROMS in the various flavors and if they are damaged, forget it as they contain firmware you can't replace. Usually diodes, resistors and capacitors go first, but in a lightning strike all components can be damaged.

If you can't find the people, get back to me...i'll find them. Flight Safety is a great place to start and ask them also.

Ted

I have joined those who need a Cruisair SMX I circuit board repaired. Has anyone found a source for repair? If not, what are people doing when the board fails to get the unit operational again?

Thanks

Pete

Search SMX control boards and you'll see 2 for sale back in August. Check and see if this is what you need as I still have them.

Can someone send me a copy of the schematic. If the bad parts are not house numbers or house parts, I may be able to repair them for the price of the part or parts. May be someone could take a close up of the board and put it on here, the schematic also. It may be just something simple. It sounds like it may be a fried SCR. There may even be a better replacement part. Just a thought. I've been in electronics for 40 years. Maybe I can help. If its not a special secret chip setup or an epoxy encapsulated board it usually can be repaired.

BILL

Hi,

I would like to second Bill's request for schematics and pics. There is a lot of expertise on this forum--let us look it over.

DAN

Wish I had a schematic of the board to work with, but I do not. Cruisair does not make these available. I do know it is not the scr as this component is mounted to the case for heat sink purposes. When I swapped in my spare I did not swap the scr and the unit started working fine. Having reseated all connectors before swapping, with no luck, I am convinced it is the board. There are no signs of any component heat on the board either. There are several IC's on the board and a plugable prom, so I am not sure what can be done with no documentation. Cruisair seems to be on a "screw the customer" strategy, no new parts available, no documentation available, no repair facilities available, only avenue is to buy an upgrade to SMX II for their inflated price. They make some good equiptment, but are a little lacking when it comes to customer support.

I have to mention just how great members are on this board. I received a PM from a member offering to send me the remains of his SMX II upgrade for free to see if anything in there would help me out. Where else would you find that? Not sure if it will help, since he appears to upgrading from a different base, but just the thought and offer are great. Here's hoping I get lucky!!

Pete