A while back I posted a question re using the water softeners that are advertised to reduce water spotting and rinse salt more effectively from the boat. Thought I'd now provide my own input to that question that might be useful to others.

On our trip to the Chesapeake we overnighted at Cape May. After taking hard spray OVER the flybridge for 12 hours from NY harbor to CM, the boat was pretty much salt-caked! There were several good-sized sport fishers there and all of them had one of those systems for washdown. I asked and they all swore by them. So I went into the marina store there and bought one. They happened to carry the
stain-less brand http://www.stainlesswaterfilters.com/ but they are all the same.

These things are great - made a major difference in how easily the salt and other grunge was removed. I suppose it might not help if the water you use is already very soft but compared with what I was used to, it's like night and day. I have also found that a lot of folks at the marina in the Chesapeake have them as well.

I tested it using the taste test! Previously, after much rinsing with unsoftened FW, I could rub my finger against a portion of the boat, taste the water and find it still salty with salt residue still on the boat. With the softner, it doesn't happen - the salt's gone. It really does rinse far better than untreated water and also greatly reduces water spotting.

I was impressed! That being said, they are pretty expensive for just a PCV tube w/resin and a separate filter. I'm sure one of these could be made for next to nothing. But in any case, I recommend one for boat washing!