Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Conversion to 24 volt from 32 volt system,58YF

I have a 1976 ,58'YF that we are considering converting from the present 32 volt system to a 24volt system. Any advice/experience in this effort would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks,
    Belizeman

Re: Conversion to 24 volt from 32 volt system,58YF

If the oem wiring and systems are OK, there is no benefit to converting - just a lot of time, trouble, and expense and nothing to be gained. Higher voltage is more efficient anyway...

On the other hand, if the oem wiring/systems are shot, as in the boat was submerged or something like that and the systems/wiring has to be replaced anyway, it makes sense to go with 24v.

Thanks for the input....Wiring systems are ok , even if old, ... we're trying to get away from potential obsolesence in starters,altenators,toilet pumps, instruments ,etc.

Those are all the things you'll have to replace just to switch. All new starters, alternators, lighting, pumps, toilets, WOW! Sounds reallly expensive.

Doug

All those items are available in 32v with no trouble at all. The eng instruments aren't 32v anyway - they are 12v with Hatt's oem 32 to 12v converter(s) providing the voltage change.

It's true that you can't walk into kmart and buy an 8 volt battery but they are easily available from any battery supplier. Same with 32v bilge pumps - you won't find them at West Marine on the shelf but any boating supply company on the internet has them. I paid 80 bucks for the last 32v 2000GPM Rule pump that I bought. It was considerably cheaper than WMs 12v pump!. The 32v galley maid water and head pumps are still made and the motors can be rebuilt anyway by any starter/alternator shop. Bulbs are also not a problem EXCEPT for the 32v searchlight bulb!! You can get them but they are pretty expensive. I bought a few from Atlanta bulbs for $18 each 2 years ago but now I hear people saying that those bulbs are VEEEERY expensive.

32V is a very common voltage for solar application as well so it's really not hard to find the components. Outback makes an absolutely superb 32v 3200W inverter that seems literally MADE for these boats. I installed one last year and it truly does belong in the "One of the best things I ever bought) category.

"All those items are available in 32v with no trouble at all. The eng instruments aren't 32v anyway - they are 12v with Hatt's oem 32 to 12v converter(s) providing the voltage change."

I need to print a retraction. The other day I mentioned that ALL my dash stuff is mechanical EXCEPT the voltmeters. Now I remember the temps are electric AND have a in-line resistor on the feed side. Its the 2" long rectangular piece in the top right of the pic below the oil pressure gauge. Hmm. Are the dash lites 32v or less?
    EVERY bulb looked like black chrome from being burned up. I guess you cant take anything for granted on these boats. I'll hafta stab a VOM in the socket to make sure. Another little job put back a week.
    How timely tho... I was just at the parts store this a.m. and my guy is looking for 32 volt bulbs. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 06-24-2007 at 09:33 PM.

i agree, it's not worth the hassle...

alternators and starters can be rebuilt by most electrical shops and they dont' care if they're 12, 24 or 32v... they can also rebuild many other motors like heads, pumps, etc...

you can actually find some 32v stuff at worst marine, some light bulbs, even bilge pumps. at WM prices of course but at least it's there...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I should also make a retraction - the instruments on our '80 53MY are 12V which is supplied by the Hatt oem 32-12V converter. I don't know if all other 32v hatts are set up the same or not. I assumed they were, with the converter being used to reduce the voltage. Our 53 has 3 such oem converters but maybe that was not standard on all 32v boats.