Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 44 Triple Cabin

44 Triple Cabin

I am currently looking at a 1969 44 Triple Cabin and have not found much information in the forum about this boat. I have a few questions:

1. Is there anything in particular to watch out for on this boat? I know it was built during the Rockwell days and have heard that some things may not be quite right.

2. The one I am looking at has all original equipment with 2400 hr 8V71Ns. I have read in this forum that this engine can last a very long time if properly maintained. Are there any owners of 8V71Ns that have accumulated a large number of hours without rebuilds? How many hours?

3. This boat has an original electrical panel that is pretty outdated. Has anyone replaced one like this? Is this a necessary thing to do or just a nice to have?

4. Any opinions about whether this boat is a better alternative to 43DCs from the early 70s? (sea keeping, livability, build quality, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help with my search.

Re: 44 Triple Cabin

I have a 68 Triple Cabin and love the boat. Has 8V53's with 1500 hours. Smoke free. We've replaced the heads w/Vacuflush and holding tank, all electronics, refrigerator, fresh water pump, new faucets, rugs, rechroming, upholstery, etc. Original items like stoves, electrical panels (except for a couple of breakers) seem to be okay. This past year we did replace all of the portlights as they were orginally aluminum and badly corroded. Ended up with stainless which we really like. Final two things to go are replacing all the window glass and seals and some interior varnish work.. Otherwise, a very seakindly boat with reasonable top end and decent crusiing speed. Boat is currently on the San Francisco Bay in Sausalito. Hope this answers some of your questions.

I have a 44TC with 8-71TAs. 1970 vintage. Custom - single helm, up. I don't think I can get much more than 15K out of it, but very rarely cruise beyond hull speed. I love the three stateroom layout. In mine, they're all twins, so I can have 4 or 5 guys aboard for a boy's trip and sleep everyone in the staterooms. Other than normal mtce, I haven't done anything near what Scott has done. Have no idea what my engine hours are, but the detroits just seem to keep running.
    Dick

BTW Scott, where did you install your holding tank?

As far as the sea keeping. If one has stabalizers, it would be the better riding boat.

[QUOTE=scott]This past year we did replace all of the portlights as they were orginally aluminum and badly corroded. QUOTE]

This boat's rub rails are aluminum and really corroded. I thought that taking a power buffer to them would shine them up. Have you attempted anything like that?

You can buff them, but they'll corrode again. The BEST way, if you can do it, is to take them off, buff them, spray them with Imron or Awlgrip in aluminum color, and clearcoat them. They will look good for a LONG time, if you do that.

I have a 1970 Triple cabin, living on it for 8.5 years with my wife, and occasionally my daughter. We couldn't be happier with it. A PO converted one aft cabin bunk (starboard) to a double berth, and we converted the center cabin to an office. I have no idea how many hours are on the engine. The engines were supposedly majored in 1985, but are untouched in the 8+ years we have owned it. We have put a couple thousand hours on the engine, including bringing the boat from Cincinnati to its new home in N Ft Myers, FL.
    Most of our boat is original, altho we have made a few changes to suit us. We had new paint a couple years ago, and like most old Hatts, we have been fighting water leaks around windows. It is out of our budget to replace them, like others have done. PM me if you want to talk about the 44 Tricabin more. I could even send you pictures of whatever you are interested in.
    Good luck. It is truly a classic boat in every sense!

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal
    You can buff them, but they'll corrode again. The BEST way, if you can do it, is to take them off, buff them, spray them with Imron or Awlgrip in aluminum color, and clearcoat them. They will look good for a LONG time, if you do that.
    Wouldn't the clearcoat chip off the minute I bumped a piling?

If you are removing the aluminum rubrail anyway, why not replace it with new stainless rubrail? I have the stainless and it holds up well to wear and bumps. It can be buffed to remove scratches and can be polished to look like new. It comes in segments in case of damage and is screwed on.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932