Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatt 53 Questions

As we continue North to home port we have a rest day in Cleveland and since I have a very long list of questions I thought I would ask the first two.

Mike P and all .... this boat has oil Purifiners and I'm about to make the decision to have them removed.
    Do they work?
    What filter do I buy?
    Since they are a gravity drain, when and how do I check engine oil level?
    By morning, level is very high on dip stick.

Power Sources
    Glendenning power cord is hooked up to Side A Source 2. The breaker in Stbd ER pops with any voltage less than about 225. Normal? Doesn't seem right to me. Many marinas on our trip are less voltage. Can I change it to A Source 1? How do I get to back of outside power panel?

OK ... one more. Do you have to prime Galley Maid Toilet to get Sea Water to come in? How?

ByronS

ps. Went through the 7 major Welland locks in 3.5 hours! Those suckers are scary!!!

Re: Hatt 53 Questions

Byron,

Glad your are almost back home! The Welland is "fun" we made several trips through and its amazing to watch the huge ocean freighters just in front or behind you... Every time we went throught it was in the middle of the night.

I am sure you find some good answers to your questions here, I wish you smooth passage for the rest of your trip.

Upload some great pictures!!!

JEL

Hi Byron:

No need to prime the Galley Maids. Make sure the sea cocks are open.
    Aft cabin valve is on stbd side under drawers, mid-cabin is in stbd engine room. I knew your boat as SUN DOG from when Randy owned it; a beauty, enjoy!!

DC

The forward head water valve is open and I cleaned the filter. Is the pump in the stool or separate??

ByronS

Byron,
    THe pump is in the gen room on the port side.

Glad to hear you are at the proper elevation now. The Welland is quite an experience. Hope to see next month when we are "up north".
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yes, sometimes you have to prime a GM head pump. The pump for the fwd head is in the generator bilge room outboard of the battery bank on the port side. It is a single motor with a raw water intake pump on one side and a flush discharge pump with macerator on the other side. The r w intake pump is on the aft end of this installation usually and it is the smaller side housing of the pump. When the pump is above the waterline and/or there's a loop in the intake line above the waterline, the pump can lose prime.

There are two ways to prime it:

1. Shut off the intake seacock. Remove the clamp around the intake hose and remove the hose. Just for interest sake you can now open the seacock and see if water will run out of the hose through gravity (depends on the installation). Hold the hose end up and fill the hose with water (unless gravity did it through the seacock). Then quickly put the hose back on the hose barb and reclamp it. Yes, some of the water spills out, but it usually works OK. Open the seacock and go run the head.

2. Leave the seacock open and remove the little priming plug on top of the intake side pump housing. It's like a little pipe plug in the top of the metal r w intake housing near the motor. See if water runs out from being below the waterline. If yes, replug and you're done. If not, pour water into the little hole from a small water bottle or whatever and then replug. Now run the head.

It should hold it's prime for all normal situations, but every now and then, it'll lose the prime.

There's always a possibility that something has plugged your sea strainer or anti-backflow valve in this line, which will also cause it to lose prime. Also, if there's no anti-backflow in the line and your intake thru-hull comes up out of the water when you go fast, it'll lose the prime and may not self prime again.

Doug Shuman

Thanks Doug .... found pump plug .... removed it .... waited ... water came out ... replaced it and hooray ... we can flush!!

Byron