Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Starter cap for CruiseAir system

Down in Davis Harbor a week ago I noticed the foward stateroom AC wasn't cooling. Down in the engine room I could hear the compressor trying kick on for a second or two and then off. I could also smell some electrical burn, bakelight or ??. While I'm watching, I see a lttle waft of smoke come out of the control box on top of the compressor. So I shut the breaker.

Next day I have a look see and it seems like the motor starting cap fried. Burned smell and some black gunk coming out of it. The wires leading to the terminals seemed a little brittle, so maybe high resistance contributed to the fail.

Boat's down in San Sal and I have one chance to fly in with the right part. This cap seems like a run of the mill 250 Volt motor starting cap. Don't have it with me right now, but it's a brand that's not mfg'd anymore and a google search of mfg and P/N turned up nothing.

Anyone have any experience with these? Go to a motor shop, or just bite the bullet and go to the marine AC guys? Thx.

Re: Starter cap for CruiseAir system

I've replaced a few capacitors on my 1990 AC units. They are all Cruisair "FS" condensing units. The cap's are the same ones you can buy for $4 at an A/C supply or motor parts store- that is if you have the old one. After having one fry that was installed in Spain I went to Beard Marine in Ft. Lauderdale to find the original value cap. They sold me the correct one for about $12 I think. I'd call them at 954-463-2288 and get the replacement from their parts dept to be sure you have the right one. You will need the BTU size of the A/C unit, but maybe someone on the forum or at Sam's can give you the size. There seems to be one part number for up to 10,000 Btu, another for 12 & 16,000 and a different number for 20-36,000 Btu.

Remeber how hot it will be if you try to save $15 and guess wrong. Good luck!

3. Re: Starter cap for CruiseAir system

Thanks for the feedback. Turst me; it's not the $15 bucks, it's the $85 my regular AC guy wanted. I drove past Beard Marine on the way to the airport this AM. I do have the old cap with me, so I'll stop there on the way home.

The model # is RCS-09HC, I'm assuming that's a 9K BTU unit. Thanks again.

If you have the old cap you can get one at an A/C supply place. Try United Refrigeration in Ft. Lauderdale at 954-489-3000.

You just need one with the same microfarad (uf) rating and at least the same voltage. The rating is on the side of the old capacitor. The Beard Marine price will be higher but nowhere near $85...more like $15.

5. Re: Starter cap for CruiseAir system

Awesome! Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by fixin-to-cruise View Post
    You just need one with the same microfarad (uf) rating and at least the same voltage. The rating is on the side of the old capacitor. The Beard Marine price will be higher but nowhere near $85...more like $15.
    To make top shelf feel better I will confirm fixin is correct. You just need the same farad rating and same voltage. They are all the same shit.

7. Re: Starter cap for CruiseAir system

I stopped by Beard this AM and picked one up for $14 bucks. Fly down to San Sal this Saturday. They only needed to know voltage and 25 MF and I was good to go.

This one doesn't have a resistor soldered across the two leads, but they're telling me that should be no issue. So we'll see, but thanks for the lead.

The resitor is there to bleed residual voltage when handling the cap. Shouldn't be a problem without it as most don't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by campbellde View Post
    The resitor is there to bleed residual voltage when handling the cap. Shouldn't be a problem without it as most don't have them.

Resistor? That's what the tongue of your assistant is for! haha

Talking Re: Starter cap for CruiseAir system

I usually just stick it to their arm when they're not looking!