Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Access to Pilot House Air Handler

On a '58 MY, anyone know the proper way to get to the pilot house air handler, preferably without a chainsaw?

There is a panel under the sink in the galley, and a cabinet built around it in the pilot house. The cabinet would have to be removed it appears, though there is no obviouse way to do so without demolition tools.

To get to it from under the sink, it appears I can remove the panel, but access is limited to the side of the unit with the blower, and of course, it's not mobile with all of the hard-tube copper running to it.

The goal here is to test, and likely replace, the squirrel cage blower.

Anyone been through this before?

Thanks,
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Re: Access to Pilot House Air Handler

ON our 53, the cabinet on the port side above the fridge contains an access panel to the air handler. The blower is behind it. I assume the 53/58 are the same but they may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    ON our 53, the cabinet on the port side above the fridge contains an access panel to the air handler. The blower is behind it. I assume the 53/58 are the same but they may not be.
    I should have mentioned...ours is a galley-up layout.

Thanks though!
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Ed,
    This is exactly like mine on the 53ED except that I don't have the galley in the way. My blower on the port side is just behind the ladder that leads to the bridge from the PH. Mine can be accessed from the back side which for me is in the salon. I have only been in there once and it was to move the sheave that had worked it's way loose on the shaft of the blower.

I did notice that there were also some screws in the panel behind the ladder. You would have to remove the ladder first to get to it, but it might be the only way to go for you. Take a look and tell me what you think.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI