Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shower Pump

Re: Shower Pump

I prefer to look at the bright side.....with this setup I will be taking both a shower and a bath!
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

2. Re: Shower Pump

I rewired my shower pump in the rear shower as Hatteras also had the A/C drain tube running into it and if no one took a shower for a few days onboard the water from the A/C would fill the box and overflow into the bilge.
    I wired a float switch into the pump so now it pumps on a "as needed" basis.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Shower Pump

The shower sump on my 58MY is a pit in the master SR floor on center between the foot of the bed and the closet. It's actually below the normal surface of the fiberglass surface in the hull. Imagine looking in the aft section of your bilge where you'd find your aft bilge pump, strut bolts sticking up, etc. Well, built into that on the centerline is a sump pit that is lower than the surface where the two showers, the master and one of the guest guest showers, drain. It's not all that deep and is the easiest, most accessible bilge pump to service in the whole boat. Down there, I have a Rule 2000 pump with an automatic float switch so I do not have to run the sump constantly via the manual switch when showering. Yes, that pump is somewhat overkill for that area, but it's another bilge pump if and when I really need one. In fact, that pump will cycle BEFORE my aft bilge pump does. When I see my aft bilge pump light on, I do tend to panic because my shower never lets water reach that one, except when something goes very wrong. So, I do like having the big pump in the very lowest point in the boat. To cure the backwash of water from the hose that Pascal describes which could result in frequent cycling, I installed a check valve on this particular pump. I have the same set up for my two forward showers. My shower head is a 2.5 gpm. Most moderns ones today are in that range, unless you get one of those designer massive waterfall heads.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

4. Re: Shower Pump

I purchased the shower pump/sump combo for Boss lady. I believe the two I bought are the 800gph as well.

I also bought the Perko Shower Drain. It has a rubber ball inside. If the water in the drain line backs up, no water will re-enter the shower.

Seems to me this rubber ball set up would make a for a cery simple and effective check valve for a bilge hose.