Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Chesapeake city?

Is there a marina at Chesapeake city or a decent area to anchor? I think on our third day of the Northport - Piney Narrows trip we would like to stay in the canal if possible to make the last day a nice lesiurely ride down the bay to the marina.

Currently the trip looks like:

1st day - Northport to Liberty landing Marina, NJ - a nice several hour sort-out afternoon.
    2nd day - Liberty Landing to Cape May
    3rd day - Cape May to somewhere in the C&D Canal?
    4th day - leisurely run down to Piney Narrows Yacht Haven, Brigadoon't new home.

Re: Chesapeake city?

Yes, there is a marina at Chesapeake City (in MD.) I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but you can see it on the chart- there's a little basin on the South side of the C&D Canal. However, they don't have a fuel dock- the fuel dock was across the canal at Schaefer's Canal House, and Schaefer's closed a year or two ago. So the fuel dock is several miles East, in Delaware City. The fuel is probably cheaper there; hardly any state has taxes as high as MDs.

Eric, what was the name of that marina that we were all at with the CYCA?

There is another good size marina right on the C&D canal called Summit North Marina and it is very well protected from wakes and weather and they have a fuel dock. All the slips are floaters and oversize. I spent a couple of seasons there years ago and we still stop there or Chesapeake City Marina while traveling. Delaware City marina is owned/operated by some real nice and very fair and honest folks, but the accomodations are sparse compared to the other two choices. Chesapeake City marina has a nice restaurant right on the premises or you can walk into the old town. (worth the short walk).
    You may want to get fuel at Summit North and stay at Chesapeake Marina.

Walt

We anchored in the Corp of Engineers Basin at Chesapeake City a few years ago. It can get crowded on weekends and fills early. Walt's description of the Marina is on target. Food is decent, music on weekends etc.

You may want to shop the fuel prices. Sandy Hook tends to have good prices. Cape May could be cheaper than the marinas in the C&D. And Piney's prices are usually among the best on the upper Bay.

Have a good, safe trip.

Bob

It's the Chesapeake Inn/Marina. We had a nice time there last season with our yacht club. Nice folks, floating docks, decent food.

http://www.chesapeakeinn.com/

Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina (Sandy Hook Bay) usually has very good prices and they do discount with a certain minimum amount of gallons of which I can't remember.

The Chesapeake Inn is a nice place to stop. The boat dealer for our small boat is down in Elkton, MD, so we've had the opportunity to put the boat in there a few times. The town has come back a lot from what was told to us as being a "biker town" back in the day.

If you want to come visit a few Hatt Forum members on your way down, Jack Sardina (Salt shaker) and I are on the Shrewsbury River in Monmouth Beach and you can stay at our club instead of Liberty Landing. The Channel Club next door usually has the lowest diesel prices in the area and only needs a minimum of 200 gallons for a $.10 discount.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Finally got a Marina WiFi that works! This topic is perfect timing for us since we will be in the C & D tomorrow as we head North. Can't believe after all my studying and reading about the ICW that we did the entire thing and now it's over. We miss the mile markers and the "magenta line" .

At a later date I'll do a thread on our ICW high lites and low lites.

ByronS

Byron,
    I don't know if you know it, but Doug Shuman is just ahead of you. Look at his boatlog.

http://dougandkathysboatlog.blogspot.com/
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI