Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Boat yard pricing

Doing a bit of a survey here, mainly for curiosity.......

Would like to know what the various yards ( need approximate location ) charge for these services.

Haul out per foot

splash per foot

pressure washing

blocking

Hill time

contractor fees/requirements.
    ( such as are contractors required to provide liability ins and or Workman's comp. And does the yard charge for you to work on your own boat , and what do they charge if you hire your own contractor )

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated

also labor rates if they do any work.

Re: Boat yard pricing

Hi Paul!

This past January Dataw Island Marina, S.C. charged $47.00 per foot to haul, pressure wash, block, two coats of a Petit ableative, launch. My bill for my 40'er came to $1,880.00. Their base labor rate was $52.00/hr (mechanical work is subed out).

One caviat, DIM is a little known marina in an isolated area where one would otherwise burn a lot of fuel to and from if not already renting there. Also, they recently got bought out by a large property management firm out of Houston who also ownes another marina in Charleston. I doubt those prices will remain the same for long. (my boat was the last invoice by the previous owners).

You do know that Bennett's and Anchor's rate was $65.00 two years ago. And that applied to everything including hull waxing. Bet it's gone up.

Regardz,
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

$65 /hr was still the rate at Bennett and Anchors a couple of months ago. They bill the haul/wash/launch at a flat rate per foot so the $65.00 doesn't apply to that. I have used both of these yards. Their rate for this work were pretty much equal. Haven't run into any problem with that but the work done on an hourly basis I feel has been a total ripoff at one of these yards. Don't want to attack any yard so I be general. I don't have a problem with the rate as much the time they claim some of the jobs take. I've been billed up to four times the hours for a common job like prop removal, from the time it has taken me to do the job in the past. You'd think as professionals they should be faster than me not take fours times as long. This is the kind of thing that make me a little upset. You know the rate when you arrive. By the way I haven't used them lately but was quoted rate at Jarrett Bay in Beaufort, NC that were right in line with Bennett and Anchors Away here in Wilmington.

You're getting off cheap down there. Up here in NJ, yards are charging hourly rates from $80-$84 and we're getting the same "inflated" time as down in the Carolinas. My dad was quoted a price for 5 coats of Bristol Finish on his coverboards around the cockpit. The guy says he came in under budget, so he says he added another 3 coats to make up the difference. Nobody looks to save you money. Sometimes, I feel that they start charging you from the time they start thinking about where your boat is located in the yard.

Nobody does the work with an interest like you would! Then, when they don't do the job correctly, they blame the age of the systems, etc. I don't mind paying the money if the aggravation didn't come along with it as well.

I'm in a service business and we've stayed in business for all these years because we provide a good service. Most boat yards leave me with the impression that they are short sighted and that they will get the money from you once and so what if you don't come back the next year. There's another sucker bringing their boat in next year.

Just my $0.02.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

5. Re: Boat yard pricing

Most yards in this area are charging an average of 14.00 per foot to haul, pressure wash, block and splash. This money is collected at the time of haul out.

Hill time varies. Most are 10.00 per foot. One yard charges 5.00 per foot, per week. A 50 foot boat will cost you 250.00 per week. But if staying a long time, they will "negotiate" that price. ( I would hope so !! )

Most yards have a surcharge for contractors. One yard charges 35.00 per day per person, and another charges 45.00 .Yet another charges 65.00 per day per person and this includes the owner of the boat. So if I bring my 50 foot boat to them I will pay 500.00 per month plus 1430.00 ( based on 22 work days @ 65.00 per day ) Geeeeze , if you get your spouse or kids to help............

One yard charges 20%. But they will not charge us owners to work on our own boats, and they allow us to do any work we want. Where as the other yards will not allow even the owner to do any work below the water line.

Labor rates seem to vary. While some are at the 75.00 and up no matter what the job, there is one that has different rates for different jobs. Such as bottom painting is 55.00 per hour.

Some just charge a flat rate like 15.00 per foot. All of this of course is " plus materials" .

Most yards do not want anyone but people they hire to work on the boats. All require subs to have liability insurance and some require Workman's comp. albeit the "Ghost Policy" !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What about slip fees ?

Are you charged by the foot or by the slip size ?

What is your preference ?

Is electric, water, cable, phone options extra ?
    Last edited by Starman; 05-18-2007 at 06:28 PM.

When I can't help but to....I pay the yard's rate of $95/hour here in Miami (the most expensive place I've ever lived!) which is for everything from the guy washing the boat and pushing the scraper on the hull to get the barnacles off, to the guy replacing bearings and seacocks, or painting, and doing more skilled work. There is no diversity in rates for skilled vs. unskilled. Also added to the yard bill is a 3% surcharge for the yard's liability insurance premium. What a crock! Unfortunately, there is no do-it-yourself yard here that is capable of lifting my boat, so I'm screwed by having to use the yard for things I might could otherwise do myself if the facilities existed.

I pay $1,180 for my slip, including electricity and water. It's sort of by the foot - I fall within the 56 to 60 foot range which is one rate, whether your boat is 56 feet or 60. There is supposed to be a liveaboard surcharge, but they don't charge me for that - usually it's the complaining troublemakers who see this fee on their bill. This is considered one of the cheaper marinas in Miami. We do not have finger piers here - it's Bahamas style dockage. The boats are packed in here tightly. When we have big winds, I have to put fenders between me and Mr. Sea Ray to keep from beating him up. And for my $1,180/month, I get one piling on each side to tie up to that are about at my pilothouse doors, leaving a low of boat hanging out there unsecured, plus two cleats on the dock behind me. What I do like about my marina is the incredible service I get here from the staff. They bend over backwards to make me happy. When a named storm is approaching, the dockmaster comes and gets my boat whether I'm there or not, and moves her to a very sheltered place and the staff does all the line tying - no extra charge! After the storm passes, they put her back in her slip while I'm away at the office, and put my lines back just as neatly coiled as I had left them. I think the real motivation here is that they do NOT want this boat left in her slip since a Hatteras is capable of taking out the whole marina with only dock rash to show for it - that's what she did at Key Biscayne Yacht Club during Wilma (before I owned her). KBYC's new facilities are incredible, though! Maybe it was a good thing.
    Last edited by Angela; 05-19-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Ang,
    That takes the prize. Your cost works out to $223/ft/year.

Up here in CT, I pay $85/hr for labor, $6100 for a 6 month season at a nice marina with floating docks and $1050 for 6 months outside winter storage at a DIY yard.
    Last edited by Passages; 05-19-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Since I belong to a private club where we all are equal owners, my annual slip fee is very cheap... $1,725.00 for a year, including winter. I don't feel very comfortable leaving my boat in the water during the winter (unless of course I take it south) so I have it hauled and blocked. It costs me approx $3,500 for winter storage on the hard, which is about double my dock fee. The yard does a first rate job of blocking the boat using 12 jack stands and 6 hugh blocks of wood under the keel. The boat stays plugged in (only a single 30 A line allowed) all winter so you can have lights and keep the batteries up. Electric heaters are frowned upon but can probably be negociated. I use propane heat whenever I work inside the boat and shut off the heaters whenever I leave the boat (even for lunch or the bathroom). A single 30A line can't provide the juice to run enough heat. Owners and their family's are allowed to work on their own boats. Outside contractors can also work on your boat but the yard charges the boat owner a whopping $300.00 per day, regardless of the job. Naturally I do my own work or God forbid, if I need the yard to do it I pay, pay, pay. I have found that the best way to avoid disagreements which I don't want especially since I have been a customer since 1957, is to have an agreed "Not to exceed" price.

Walt

Seabrook Marine in New Orleans (next door to Trinity Yachts) charges $25/ft for a complete bottom job with Petit paint. This includes haul, bluck, pressure wash AND soda blasting if needed, sanding, zincs and splash. They will even include a FREE short haul within 6 months for a prop swap or survey!

Their labor rate is $70/hr for everything else. Not bad, considering the alternatives.......

Seabrook charged me $10/foot to launch. $640 for a 100' move.Plus I ALWAYS paid my storage by the month in advance !! I bought the boat on the hard. My next move to pier11 in Chicago, who an acquaintance owns said for the summer slip (2 months) haul, wash, block and winter comes to about 1900 + change.
    Electric 220 and water included.
    How'd the Bull Run go?? Didnt hear anything yet... ws