Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Bow and Stern Thruster

ROFLMAO Da@# old-timers....
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Since I started this thread I figure that I can take a certain liberty...How many Hatteras owners does it take to change a light bulb?...Ans...6, one to change the bulb and five to talk about how good the old one was, lol..thats for the old guys. But wait..I think Iam one of them!

I have to agree with Pascal on this one. There is no reason that you should not be able to back (I repeat BACK) off of a wall or dock with a twin screw boat without the aide of a thruster. It is really not that difficult as you can pivot the stern out and back away. In fact, you should be using this same approach even if there is no wind and no other boats fore or aft.

I will also say that although I don't own a thruster, I would still enjoy using one if my boat were so equipped. This is not a matter of if you really NEED one because you don't. It is a matter of if you WANT one. And if you want one and can afford it, then have it installed. Let's face it, that's what money was made for, putting it into boats.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky I believe your correct and I also believe that Pascal is correct...I can do what Pascal suggests and I am certain that he is sincere about what he can do with a boat. That said.. Iam going to add a bow thruster just in case I need it in a tight situation. Thankyou for all your comments on the subject.This website provides great knowledge for all of us and personally great pleasure for me...thanks again for all the help.

ROFL... thank a lot neosin... i've never been called an old timer before ! granted, i still have all my hair (yeah there are few greys in there...) but i'm actually one year younger than Hatteras Yacht...

as to pivoting off in 50kts... i dont' think so... don't think id' try that :-)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

6. Re: Bow and Stern Thruster

Good one... in fact i have some guys over talking about changing one of my outside lights and just that happened.... 1 or 2 trying to do it and the others talking about how good they are when they are new! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Airpilot View Post
    Since I started this thread I figure that I can take a certain liberty...How many Hatteras owners does it take to change a light bulb?...Ans...6, one to change the bulb and five to talk about how good the old one was, lol..thats for the old guys. But wait..I think Iam one of them!

7. Re: Bow and Stern Thruster

Your 100% right. But no body really "NEEDS" anything. You "WANT" to eat to stay alive. You "WANT" your wife to not leave to wash your t-shirts... and so on... lol Sure i could wash my t-shirts but it sure is nice my wife does it... Sure i could "back" my boat off the dock but it sure is nice the BT does it for me... LOL

Have a good one guys! happy FD!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I have to agree with Pascal on this one. There is no reason that you should not be able to back (I repeat BACK) off of a wall or dock with a twin screw boat without the aide of a thruster. It is really not that difficult as you can pivot the stern out and back away. In fact, you should be using this same approach even if there is no wind and no other boats fore or aft.

I will also say that although I don't own a thruster, I would still enjoy using one if my boat were so equipped. This is not a matter of if you really NEED one because you don't. It is a matter of if you WANT one. And if you want one and can afford it, then have it installed. Let's face it, that's what money was made for, putting it into boats.

8. Re: Bow and Stern Thruster

you oldtimers are crazy... i bet you would try it... admit it... If you was caught in 50kts you'd be having the time of your life... hell i thought 25kts was fun and I've then to be told I'm a wuss because they hit 30 - 40 the same day LOL!!

I just did the math and I'm only 6 years younger than my 1972 44 TC AHHH!! Won't be long and I'm gonna be one of them oldtimers with ack! Grey hair talking about how i can back off a dock tear up 12 other boats and still get away before the police or coast guard catch me!!! wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    ROFL... thank a lot neosin... i've never been called an old timer before ! granted, i still have all my hair (yeah there are few greys in there...) but i'm actually one year younger than Hatteras Yacht...

as to pivoting off in 50kts... i dont' think so... don't think id' try that :-)

Ok, being the nerd that I am, I just looked up some stern thrusters. I seriously could make just as an effective one with $400 and a trip to walmart...it's called two trolling motors mounted to swim platform! Maybe a little bit more if you need bigger motors.

Seriously, I have a pile driving barge and I move it around pretty well with a trolling motor on each side (I made a nice little switch panel)