Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Raw water pumps, pulley rust

As a preacaution I am having my raw water engine pumps rebuilt to include impellors, seals and ball bearings (Jabsco 7420-1001). Originally I had ordered new impellors and seals. Then when a friend with the same series Hatteras and pumps as mine had a bearing seize I also ordered these as well (it's a sealed ball bearing which alledgedly can be purchased from NAPA - but don't say it's going on a boat $$$).

(All this is in the hands of a modest marina facility that only charges $90.00 per hour. Last week I got my teeth cleaned and checked for only $10.00 more - thought I'd throw that in).

The marina service manager advised that there is considerable rust on the pulleys and they should be sanded and repainted. OK.

Question 1: Allowing that conditions vary, what kind of life can one expect out of raw water impellors and bearings?

Question 2: I forgot all about the pulleys which I repainted on my "mulligan" boat. What primer and finish coat would you use on the other engine pullies?

Question 3: Can this be done "in place" - sand and paint - without having to remove them (from block, alternator, etc.)?

Question 4: If I had taken them to my dentist to be rebuilt and painted do you think my insurance would cover it?

Responses are appreciated.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Raw water pumps, pulley rust

Hi all!

Forgive me for answering my own post but I suspect that at the time of posting it quickly went to the bottom of the list as several new threads came in on top.

I hope this is not too tacky but I really would appreciate any input to the questions above (knowing that experiences are going to vary). Hope they (questions) are not too general.

Thanks,
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

I'd just clean the rust off the belt surface as the belts will wear the paint off anyways. Paint the rest and go boatting. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Wire brush, sand, ospho, paint with quality enamel.

Oh, and no, insurance does not cover elective procedures
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Quote Originally Posted by thoward
    Wire brush, sand, ospho, paint with quality enamel
    "ospho"? Todd, help me with this one, please.
    Capt'n Bill

You can get it at Ace, Autozone and the like

http://www.ospho.com/
    Last edited by thoward; 05-18-2007 at 12:29 PM.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son