Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Transmission whine revisited...

Hello all, I tried to search past threads on this to no avail. Here goes - When I'm running the boat and shes all warmed up, I slow down and put the gears in neutral. When I go down to the cockpit, I hear this really HIGH pitched whine/ whistle and it comes and goes as we are bobbing around.... It goes away as soon as I put it in gear... Any Ideas? I don't think its caused by the props or the cutless bearings but....?

Cheers,

Captned
    78 46 CON
    Miami Beach

Re: Transmission whine revisited...

What kind of transmissions do you have?
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    What kind of transmissions do you have?
    Will

Allison Transmissions.... With screw on remote filters... Could it be that packing gland that has never leaked???

4. Re: Transmission whine revisited...

It may be normal. The Vickers pumps have a habit of producing a "whistle" noise, especially when out of gear. Its not the gear itself if its doing that - its the pump, and sometimes they do it, and sometimes they do not.

The reason is that there is a bypass/pressure regulator valve on the pump that controls the pressure output in the lines and the bleed through it sometimes makes noise.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I had the same whining problem, but only in gear. It happened after rebuilding the forward clutch AND tuning the props. I couldn't figure it out. All we did was put new springs in to release the forward clutch (Allison M20) and depitch props. The noise was a high pitched whine from idle up to about 950rpm in forward gear. Above that it went away.

I lived with the whine for one whole season. Then I replaced all of my cutlass bearings AND switched the props to my spares. Problem solved. I have no idea what the cause was, but I suspect it was a singing prop.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI