Got back to NY at midnight and to my house at 2:30am this morning. Then spent all day on the boat!

I didn't run the engines/check the tranny operation. I had planned to but because it was mother's day there were tons of folks at the marina, lounging around on the docks and I didn't want to run them off with the noise/smoke. Actually, I exactly DID want to do that; but I didn't.

I'll run them tomorrow. I did check the levels cold. They are actually the opposite of what Bill told me. The starboard - the one that was slow to shift has a LOT more fluid in it than the port. Cold, the port is at the full mark so it will drop a bit when running, making it a bit low, probably. The starboard has considerably more fluid in it - my guess is too much though I'll know better tomorrow after running it. Also the port fluid looks new but the star fluid is not nearly as clean. It's not bad but it's certainly not as clean-looking as the port.
I suspect there's a mainseal leak which would account for the color and the level. If so, it can't be too bad yet - the engine uses very little oil.

After I warm them up a bit tomorrow I'll change the oil in both so I can "start over" and monitor from a common point. The fluid change will be the first one since I have owned the boat. The PO did it just before I bought it in '04.