Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8v92 Heads

8v92 Heads

I got bad news today from the Machine shop. Both of my heads are cracked in what the guy called the "Dog Bone" area. Unfortunetly, I need to get some heads, and Detroit wants 5K for 2 heads. Does anyone have a better source for heads, or does anyone have an extra set of heads around that have good blanks for an 8v92. If I got a good set of blanks, I could have the machine shop build them to specifications for my engines. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Re: 8v92 Heads

There is a great shop in Montreal, Quebec that repairs/exchanges heads and they are very reasonable. They will not fix it if they can't guarantee it.

Searched and couldn't find their name but i will and post it here if you are interested.

Ted

Think these are the guys

Atelier de Mécanique R M (1979) Inc - 514-321-2400 10660, avenue Racette, Montréal-Nord, QC H1G 5H4 Category : Truck Repairing & Service, Garages Auto

If not, they will tell you who, in Montreal, will do it. You ship them there...truck.

Ted

4. Re: 8v92 Heads

Cracked heads? Don't fart around. Buy the new Detroit Marine heads complete. NOT Reliabuilts - NEW marine heads.

If you go cheap on this and they fail you're going to be pissed off when your overhaul is destroyed. Now that money saved will look like a real bad deal.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Detroit does not offer new heads, they dont even offer the regular "reliabuilt". They offer Reliabuilt Plus, which is a new blank (casting) and that is the only thing avaliable for a marine aplication.

I hate to say it, but it hurts to pay 5k for a set of heads, it is outrageous.

Does anyone make Aftermarket heads for Detroit that we know of?
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website

6. Re: 8v92 Heads

Yeah, that's a "new" head. New casting.

That's the point.... Yes, they're insanely expensive. But a cracked head is a cracked head, and I wouldn't try repairing it. Cylinder head failure will lunch your rebuild.

I'm not aware of anyone making aftermarket heads for DDs.......
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

First of all did the cracks in the heads you have contribute to the reason for the rebuilds? Did you have white smoke? If yes, that is a different story.

In the thousands of engines i have had rebuilt, 90% come off the engines with cracks in the head...especially between the valves (dog bone area).

Most instances the cracks are insignificent and likely do not leak. In many instace there is nothing to leak...that is why they crack, no coolant in those small areas.

Please understand this is when you are rebuilding and engine that has high time, has blow-by, burning oil etc.

If you cooked the engine and warped the heads, those can be fixed but i wouldn't. For the little cracks...fix them, pressure test them and forget them. We run the repaired heads 2000 hours a year, you are talking 200 hours a year.

Spend $5000 or $1000. You choose. But if you end up in 10 years rebuilding and the mechanic says, "the heads are cracked..."

Ted

You are talking about a marine application and a high output one at that get the premium plus heads. This is not a place to go cheap. It will cost you later. I always get the premium+ heads. it is the way to go.

My heads were not the cause of the rebuild, the intercooler blowing its guts adn dumping Saltwater into my engine was the cause. It happens, but we did not expect it 5 months after getting them rebuilt and pressure tested.

The heads are cracked between two water passages. so esentially, the two water passages can leak to each other. I am not sure why it would crack there, but everyone says it is common. Other than that, the heads are ok according to the machine shop.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website

10. Re: 8v92 Heads

Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com