Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

quiz for the pros...

Whats louder; 2 12-71s or an Allison with a bad bearing?? Myself, I cant tell because my ears are still ringing from 1600 miles on top of both.
    IYHO's would it be better to rebuild mine or swap it out for a RTO unit? The starboard gear is smooth as silk and the port has rumbled all the way from NOLA to Chicago. If you heard it you'd be afraid to leave the dock, but its really gotten only slightly louder. The cilia in my ears are laying flat right now, especially at bed time!
    If any one has one for the port or both from a repower, I would surely be interested in them !! These are MH20s L&R-- I need the "L". Thanks, and if one turns up you get a finders fee !! ws

Re: quiz for the pros...

Thats a tough one as there is no way to determine what's needed for that one. Pull it and have it checked out. It may be surprisingly inexpensive to repair. It may not.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I would like to agree, but ya know with Murphys law etc... It could be a bearing or something deeper. If I have to pull it, then I'm faced with the old do it now or re-do it later thing. Pulling this bad boy once will be enough !! ws

Pull it once and take it to a shop that can test and troubleshoot it. I had a velvet drive that was 45 years old that I brought in with a bad seal and thought there may be other problems. He commented that it was an old unit and checked it out reasonably for $100.00 plus gaskets and seals. I left a few hours later with new Front and rear seals, Some gaskets and a piece of mind everything else looked fine. I ran for another season then bought the Hatt. No problems.

As much as I would like to do myself I need to bring in the experts. Pull the gear yourself. Leave the engine blocked and get it done so you only need to do it once.

FWIW the new flange and shaft collar cost more than the whole tranny repair.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

YMB, You got a PM.

Mario
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Yachtsmanbill - call the marine transmission guys in Kalamazoo, MI. They advertise in the back of Lakeland Boating magazine, name of them is Kalamazoo Marine Gear @ 269-345-0629. Older transmissions are their speciality. Let us know what they say.

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Will Do !! I think I dealt with them 25 years ago with an old paragon out of my Roamer. Completely forgot about them !! ws

Yachtsmanbill - call and chat with the guys at Kalamazoo Marine Gear in Kalamazoo, MI. They specialize in older transmissions. They are at 269-345-0629. Kalamazoo, MI isn't that far from you, may be well worth the drive over. Hope this helps!

Bear'

Thanks Bear !! Also took your advice and stayed on the diversion canal at
    Cape Girardeau. Depth there was a good 22 feet!! It also took 2 tries to get in across the current! It was a blessing to get off the river. Made 50 miles that day in 8 hours on the Mississippi. Man it was BRUTAL ! Pics are the canal and fuel dock at the Cape. Notice the current at the dock !! About 6 mph there. ws

I recall the current very well - that little Diversion Canal was a restful little bit of calm water. I knew you'd fit in there just fine. Glad my speed-over-the-bottom was similar to yours. As I recall I had lots of whirlpools just above Cape G as I headed north.
    Glad you made it home OK, did you stop at Mel's Riverfront Dock for a 2# porkchop??

Bear'