Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sea Foam V ATF

Re: Sea Foam V ATF

The other big mystery is how we ended up having this discussion on 67Hat34c's thread about SeaFoam and ATF in gas engines. Anybody have any solutions to that??? Miguel???

I would NEVER repeat NEVER pour ATF down the carb. I did this on a 327 '63 Biscayne and it freed all the carbon BEHIND the rings and she smoked all the way to the bone yard. The carbon is necessary to seal the .001" ring land clearance. ws

Found this to be very interesting - it's the instructions for cleaning engines with a "top engine cleaner." They give several GM part numbers for various types of TECs but the instructions are the same for all.

They explain how to remove carbon using TEC but go on to say if it didn't work, repeat the same process with water! Seems like somebody could make money by just bottling the water, throwing some food color in it, calling it something like aqua-blast, and packaging the instructions using only item 4! (Item 4 is the old "classic" instructions for using water for this purpose) I didn't copy item 1 - it just talks about removing air cleaner, warming up eng, etc.:

2. Raise the engine speed to about 2000 RPM and slowly introduce 1/2 can of Top Engine Cleaner (TEC) into the engine.
    a. Have an assistant operate the throttle to keep the engine running while the TEC is added and then release the throttle
    allowing the engine to stall.
    b. Restart the engine and rev it up to 2000 RPM. There will be billows of white smoke.
    c. Let the engine run at 2000 RPM until it stops running rough.
    d. Then introduce the remaining TEC into the engine as fast as possible. Take care not to introduce the TEC too fast. DO NOT
    flood and hydrostatic lock the engine! Be patient and judicious!

3. Immediately shut off the engine and allow the TEC to sit for at least 1⁄2 hour, preferably overnight allowing time for the cleaner to
    soak into the deposits.

4. Restart the engine and increase the RPM to 2,000. There should be more white smoke.

5. If the noise is still present:
    a. Warm the engine to full operating temperature.
    b. Introduce water instead of TEC.
    c. The shock of the relatively cool water and steam should dislodge the carbon adhering to the piston faces, valves, and
    combustion chamber.
    d. While keeping the engine at 2,000 RPM introduce 2 quarts of water into the engine slowly enough to prevent it from stalling.

There used to be a legitimate application for Top Engine Cleaner on the 5.7 Olds diesel. (Insert derrogatory comment here ). You were supposed to remove the injectors, introduce it into the cylinders and let it sit overnight. They had problems with rings sticking from excessive carbon buildup, and this often was a viable fix. It would last until the feather-footed vehicle operator let them carbon up again.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I agree on the stuck rings. Why would this happen suddenly? What Mike is describing (if I'm following this correctly) sounds almost like airbox pressure making its way into the crankcase. The big mystery is; how can this happen?

The other big mystery is how we ended up having this discussion on 67Hat34c's thread about SeaFoam and ATF in gas engines. Anybody have any solutions to that??? Miguel???
    First of all thankyou for the advise against the use of ATF, or any other thing that the motor may recognize as food. Dumb me, I should have known better. The first thing I did on those motors was to install the cables that trip the emergency shutoff flaps, I was so scared of a runaway motor!!!!

Maybe I don't want to believe I have a problem in the rings, (well of course I don't), and that makes me try to find other answers than that. I know it is difficult to convey what I see in writing (specially in a strange language for me) but the flow of air coming from that breather tube (and the dipstick tube if I pull out the stick) is so strong and steady that I can not see how this can come from anything related to one cylinder (except maybe a hole in the piston which I am sure is not the case). This problem came suddenly and I only realized it because of the smell, as it doesn't show in other ways. One thing I forgot to say is that on the same trip that the smell began, that motor stopped while underway. The reason was water in the Racor fuel filter/separator. I changed the filter and drained the water and it started right away without further problems. Except that when we came to the anchoring place I noticed the smell for the first time. However I don't know how one thing could relate to the other.
    I agree with Scrod, why a sudden stuck or broken ring?...and even with a broken ring how can such a huge amount of air go into the crankcase. And if the air comes from inside a cylinder why there is no smoke coming out from that breather?
    I understand what MikeP said in the other thread about the consequences of inbalance causing the "pumping", but I don't know, for some reason I believe my problem is air from the blower going directly to the crankcase.
    I still think that a blown seal could be the culprit. Pascal says about blue smoke as a consequence, but I am not that sure. If there is a broken seal air would force oil from the gears OUT of the blower and then that air would go via return holes to the crankcase. So if no oil is going thru the broken seal into the blower why should I have blue smoke? What I don't know is if those drain holes are big enough to let so much air thru.

Unfortunately next weekend I am stuck home, my wife has a bad case of shingles (Herpes zoster), culebrilla we call it, and is so sore that there is no way I can make her endure the jumps of the dirt road. The ulcers are all swollen and not drying yet. Let me tell you, she is suffering.

Oh well, some inspiration will come or some of you will say...

Hey! I had this problem once and all it was.....Boy I could french kiss that guy....

Sorry for the rant fellas...

Now I really did it...my problems spans TWO threads...

Nite now

Miguel
    Morrocoy
    Venezuela

5. Re: Sea Foam V ATF

See if you can get some Biodiesel. It is such a good solvent and lubricant that if you have carbon build up it will be gone in short order.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

I don't know if I can get this, but if I do, how should I use it...just in place of the normal fuel for a while, or mixed?....

Miguel
    Morrocoy
    Venezuela