Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

ethanol resistant fuel tank confirmed

Allen Hills from Hatteras confirmed that the fuel tanks on my 87 40' aft cabin have been mfg with the ethanol resistant resin. They switched over to that resin in mid 85 for MY MODEL BOAT. That may not be the case with all models! He suggested any interested parties call him with your hull number to verify your own paticular situation. His direct line is 252 672 7313 or the main number 252 633 3101 ext 7313. I asked if I could get that in writing from Hatteras in order to provide that info to my insurance co. if necessary. He was going to check that out and get back to me. Ron on Beckytec. THIS IS GOOD NEWS FOR YOU. Since your boat was mfg after mine you should be in the clear. Finally some good news on this front for some of us!!!!
    Skip

Re: ethanol resistant fuel tank confirmed

I would take it on a Hull ID number case by case basis...not based on date of manufacture. I talked with Allen before and he said all these tanks were premade and then installed. They weren't made within the boat as the boat is being built. They were installed based on what they had on hand. So call him and check using your hull ID number. Mine was made in late 85 and he said I had the resin that is not resistant to ethanol. In fact, he said all 32's had the same crappy resin and my series was made thru 1986 or 1987.

Thats why I said THIS MAY NOT BE THE CASE FOR ALL MODELS and you should call with your hull ID #

Wow Try and find another Company that can and will do this for boats that are 20 years old
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by labrador
    Ron on Beckytec. THIS IS GOOD NEWS FOR YOU. Since your boat was mfg after mine you should be in the clear. Finally some good news on this front for some of us!!!!
    Skip
    Thanks so much Skip, that is great news for me. Too bad everybody isn't included. Hatteras made tanks that should have been good for life, then the government had to screw things up. I hope there are better solutions in the future for people with the trouble prone tanks. Ron

Yup...I gave up on the guess work and gambling with possible safety issues....and avooided ripping up my decks and tank. Went the less cheap route, unfortunately and fortuneately...went diesel. For me seemed like the best way to deal with it because I plan on using the boat enough to warrant it....can finally make it to the canyons and back....and still have fuel!

Yea Jackman, That is the way to go! Wish I had some spare cash laying around to do it however just got finished with my kids college! 250 grand for the two of them over a 6 year period. Momma doesn't want to go into debt for the boat so I'm stuck for a while. At least I don't have to rip up the gas tanks!!!!!! Happy for you too Ron.

I didn't have the cash laying around either....that's what a good credit union is for! Between having the fiance in vet school, buying a new house and repowering the boat....I'm broke. I can relate.

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by labrador
    Allen Hills from Hatteras confirmed that the fuel tanks on my 87 40' aft cabin have been mfg with the ethanol resistant resin. They switched over to that resin in mid 85 for MY MODEL BOAT. That may not be the case with all models! He suggested any interested parties call him with your hull number to verify your own paticular situation. His direct line is 252 672 7313 or the main number 252 633 3101 ext 7313. I asked if I could get that in writing from Hatteras in order to provide that info to my insurance co. if necessary. He was going to check that out and get back to me. Ron on Beckytec. THIS IS GOOD NEWS FOR YOU. Since your boat was mfg after mine you should be in the clear. Finally some good news on this front for some of us!!!!
    Skip

I also have 40 Hatteras 1987, here is the letter Roland Lamm from Hatteras sent me by email.

Dear Peter,

Our records indicated that in mid 1985, all our gasoline fuel tanks were
    converted to tank resin that would be resistant to ethanol fuel. There
    should not be any problems associated with running ethanol fuel in your
    tanks.

Are you currently having any problems? Are your questions as you have
    indicated being driven by your insurance company? If it is the latter,
    then I would hope this e-mail would help you convince your insurance
    company that your tanks are built with ethanol resistant resin.

Regards,

Ronald B. Lamm, Sr.
    Director/Customer Service

Thanks Peter, Just printed that out and it goes into the boat file!!