Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

My Father's Porch Paint and the Ferry

Well, I told my wife as I reached for the $19.99 gallon of True Value black porch paint, I have fully morphed into my 90YOA father. I had tired of repainting the $125/gal "ablative" paint every year, which came off right down to my expensive Interlux 2000 barrier coat.

So this year I went with the porch paint, several coats thick over the bare barrier coat. I sit in a fairly good volume fresh water river, so I don't see much sea-weed build, so what the heck...$20 vs. $125 to $140. My father also used to sit in the same river, and his "porch paint" always did well.

So I relate my porch paint changeover to the owner of the major ferry line, where I store for the winter, who has stopped by. He smiles and says, "oh, that'll work fine. We could never get the expensive expoxy paints to stick to the ferry hulls (steel), and their red turned pink anyway. We went to Ace Hdwe exterior and Rustoleum paints 2-3 years ago with good success! Never needed to switch back."

So there you go...maybe I can avoid a run next year to ole' Wes Muhreen...
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 05-14-2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typo
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: My Father's Porch Paint and the Ferry

Hey, I put the $20 Sears Weatherbeater on the topsides of my wooden Chris for many years. It always looked great.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

3. Re: My Father's Porch Paint and the Ferry

I bet if you add cayenne pepper it would last even longer !

At one point I considered trying the cayenne pepper additive. Then I stopped and thought about sanding it the next season and having the dust land on my sweaty forehead, and in my eyes.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

5. Re: My Father's Porch Paint and the Ferry

Yep, Just like pepper spray, LOL

And I was first in line when we started to use that stuff. I got sprayed and I am here to tell you, it is uncomfortable

But then thats also why I have heard people using this stuff because no life form likes it and will stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    I bet if you add cayenne pepper it would last even longer !
    Above is exactly what the ferry yard manager related to me...cheaper than the copper whatever additive and legal. Zebra mussels don't like...ouch, that stings, etc...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...