Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Transom bonding question

The copper bonding strap running across the inside of the transom of my yachtfish (behind the water tank) is broken. Replacing this copper strap and reinstalling all of the bonding wires from the rudder posts, thru-hulls, trim tabs, etc. shouldn't be too difficult. However, I just realized tonight that this strap dead-ends at both ends, i.e. the strap is not connected in any way to the rest of the boat's bonding. Anyone know what's missing here? Is it possible that this part of the system originally attached to a bonding plate on the transom that is no longer there? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. Re: Transom bonding question

Check the ends of the strap Michael. I suspect if they look "torn" , it may have been cut for some reason. look around the lazerette along the stringers and see if there is a bonding strap there.

Sometimes these bonding straps get painted, which I am told is not a good thing to do, and they may be hard to see under the paint.

When found, you should be able to run a connector strap, joining the two.

Re: Transom bonding question

Running an all new strap may not be as simple as it sounds. I've been working on my bonding system on my 58MY, and it's NOT been easy. Some of the strap is underneath the fiberglass. You can see it where the fiberglass hasn't been painted, or simply follow it until it goes underneath some tabbing and then comes out the other side. I also found out that some of the bonding wire connections to some of the underwater gear were made while the boat was being built and then, for example, the floor was laid over it without an access hole - gotta cut your own or just cut off the old wire (if you need to replace it) and run it to another location.

Diver Down, you should have a blueprint drawing in your owner's manual that shows where the bonding strap runs. If you don't and want one, call Hatteras or have someone here make a copy for you.

Now, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but somewhere I think I either heard or read that the bonding strap is connected to the dyna plate. Is that right, or have I been working on too many projects at once? On my boat, when I stick my head through the hole in the floor of the genny room into the bilge, I can see the copper straps running under the glass and they both abruptly end parallel to each other at what appears to be same location as the dyna plates are located on the underside of the hull.

Wouldn't it be easier to reconnect the "torn" area with another piece of copper strap? Is there any reason why that would not work?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

On the 58YF there are two bonding plates connecting the copper straps in the generator room, one port and one starboard. I suspect that other MYs have the same arrangement. I too have seen several areas where the strap and/or ground wires have been glassed in but this situation in my lazarette has me confused. I will look again for some remnant of the old bonding strap.
    Michael E.
    Chesapeake, VA

I redid mine last year...although not as big of a job as some of your boats. Sometimes they went through glass/stringers and sometimes not. They actually went around the entire boat and engine beds. In cases where there was a dead leg there was a jumper wire to connect it. Where it went through glass you can crimp the new to the old with a special crimper or solder them. (There is always an argument of which technique is better). I wouldn't try to disturb the ones that go through glass...just attached the new to the old. What's inside the glass is not corroded anyhow.

In trying to understand this bonding issue in my lazarette, I've discovered other areas where the copper strap has deteriorated badly and/or broken. I'll be patching these where possible and bridging around the bad areas when scabs won't work. Another question, though.... Do any of you have zincs or ground bars on the transom?