Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Staining Black Soot

Anybody know how to eliminate the black soot from diesel exhaust that stains the transome?
    For Pete's Sake 1973 36c
    petebenj@cableone.net

Re: Staining Black Soot

The only way I have found is after you clean it dont use it anymore. Just kidding!

Rejex....from the CorrosionX folks has gotten a good review

I use Howes Diesel additive every time I fuel up. It seems to reduce black soot a lot on my 671's and keep the fuel conditioned. When I dock after a long run I use orpine boat wash and it takes away soot on the transom

5. Re: Staining Black Soot

I've never found a good solution that.

Gigabite didn't soot the transom, but it had side exhausts. Those have their own potential issues (especially if you don't pay attention as the nut behind the throttle); there's no free lunch.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I'll be trying Howes 'Meaner Cleaner' on our run north. It's supposed to produce finer atomization of fuel leading to reduced soot and was recommended on another forum. Will post the results if some one reminds me.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 Series 1 48

7. Re: Staining Black Soot

Switch to biodiesel.LOL Not much you can do about it. It is not really a problem if you go fast. You will see it more if you are running hull speeds. If the engines are at saturation temperatures, it is not a problem. The slower speeds don't allow the engine to come up to full temperature, and you wind up with inefficient combustion, and black soot on the transom.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

I have a very small amount of build up on my 43DC. I just wash it off with good old Mean Green. $5.00 a gallon. I love that stuff.

BILL

Once you get that soot off, then put a coat of the polymer polish on the transom. I used something from WM that has teflon in it. It's similar to an Awlcare product. That stuff helps to keep the soot from sticking on there again. The next time you can just wash it off with a brush and some boat soap.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Spray the transom with Awlgrip clear. Everything will just wipe off.