Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Surveyor needed

skijump Guest

Surveyor needed

I need to have a Hatteras surveyed in the Annapolis area, at the end of this month. Can anyone recommend a good surveyor in that area? The boat has Detroit 671's, so I will have to have those checked too.
    Thanks

jim rosenthal Guest

surveyor in this area

I would recommend Derek Rhymes/Jack Hornor, who I think are Marine Survey Associates. Also Peter Hartoft and Gale Browning are very good. Any of those people will do a fine job for you. I have seen them all survey boats and read their reports- they are thorough and fair. Derek surveyed my boat last year.

jim rosenthal Guest

engine surveyor

sorry, I closed the post too fast. For Detroits, probably Central GMC and Marine in Landover, MD. Again they will be very thorough. Or Chesapeake Diesel who are in Chestertown, I think. But I would do Karl's cold start test before I did anything...just out of curiosity, which model Hatteras is it, and what year?

skijump Guest

surveyor

skijump Guest

surveyor

The boat is a 43 MY 1985. I am going to put a deposit on it in a few days. I have looked at 4 of these boats, same age, and the hobbs were all mismatched. one side read 1400, the other 2100, on one of them. One boat had 4 meters, and they all had different numbers. Can any of these meters be trusted when they are this old?

montauk1989 Guest

Re: surveyor

Skijump,
    Let me know how you make out with the surveyors. I'm looking at an older 43 DCMY in Maryland tomorrow.
    thanks
    Dave

Nonchalant1 Guest

Re: surveyor

I searchhed and called lots of surveyors and really liked Rob Scanlan in Nachany, MA (but they all travel widely). He's on this page: www.navsurvey.com/massach.htm His website is listed there - visit it. His schedule just wouldn't fit my needs before, but now I wish I had used him.

You can visit the Maryland page for that link to find more names, but I didn't research any of them.

Doug