Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Front deck hatch with vent

At the HAtteras factory, I saw lots of new Hatts in the $2 mil. to $10 mil range, all with sliding glass doors like Ang's. Of course, they were all "euro" styling (read bleach bottle styling") but they were sure pretty anyhow.

Re: the hatch - I have the old original one (1978 53MY) and we've been in big waves with green water over the bow and never had any water through that hatch, but it does let air in. However, I once left a sb forward stateroom window open when we were out in heavy seas and got 2 in. of water in that top bunk (it holds water just fine!).

Doug

Ditto to much of the above about the factory forward hatch. It is too big, too ugly, sticks up too high and gets in the way, collects mildew and mold, and leaks.

I have already asked Starman to order and install a flat acrylic SS replacement. It will look great, let in lots more light to the forward cabin, have a low profile on deck and will not leak!
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

3. Re: Front deck hatch with vent

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    I do want the double doors like the other Hatts have. That sliding door is just butt-ugly on a boat. This will be a future project for Starman one day.

Have saw , will cut !!

4. Re: Front deck hatch with vent

We had thought about the idea some of you had mentioned about using the current hatch and modifying it to hold a piece of acrylic.

But the reality is, the labor if you pay some one to do this , probably about two days of time, including the fiberglass work, painting, materials, will be close to if not more than a new stainless steel custom made hatch for about 1K.

And the old, modified hatch will still be taller than the new low profile style.

So it really comes down to style and use preference.

The current rim , once the old hatch is removed, has about a 1/4 round over on the edges. I ordered Boss Lady hatch to fit right up to that round over edge.

I expect it will look really good. I am going to trim the underside of the hatch opening fiberglass frame with teak where it will meet the headliner.

Our stuff is on a truck enroute and is scheduled to be here on the 7th.

The day it gets here, I should at the very least be able to set it in place and take a few pics.

Sky,

I think a new hatch, low profile, will look great and let TONS more light in your forward stateroom. The orig. hatch is ok the vent is nice but it is very bulky. I actually think I stubbed my toe on your hatch a "few" years ago ;-)

That's funny, Jack....and probably true.

I don't want to cut up the deck. I want to leave the molded edge that is there. So a completely new hatch and it's associated deck flange is out of the question. Now if I could modify or find a hatch that fits the original whole and seals like the original, I would do that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY
    That's funny, Jack....and probably true.

I don't want to cut up the deck. I want to leave the molded edge that is there. So a completely new hatch and it's associated deck flange is out of the question. Now if I could modify or find a hatch that fits the original whole and seals like the original, I would do that.

Sky,

Oh I totally agree, cutting up the whole deck is too much to do. Leave that edge, hopefully you can find a hatch to "mod" what you have, that would be much less of a project and give a great result!

J

If you just want a simple fix and don't want to rebuild the whole bow, why not buy just the cover from Sam's,( I presume they have them), and change it at the hinge. Our 36C has a hat type cover that I am sure is the same size as all other Hats. If you want to install an aftermarket hatch, you will eithere have to find one that is the same size as the lip that is part of your deck, or cut the lip off and re-glass the area. Ugh!!!. Our hatch cover is great and quite light when you start to open it.

9. Re: Front deck hatch with vent

Sky, and others,

We are not removing that rim on the deck of Boss Lady.

I ordered a custom size hatch to fit that rim.

It is a low profile hatch as seen on the previous page.

Exactly what many have said here. Low profile, fits the current rim.

Steve ( Sams ) may have something else, I have not seen it in the inventory list. The one I sell is just another option for consideration.

Paul,
    I await the pics when you get it set on there and see how it lines up. But, if the pricetag is near the $1k you posted earlier, then I guess I'll have to come up with something else. No hatch is worth that. I could make a new one using the original as a pattern if I had too. It wouldn't be anything more than piece of fiberglass with paint around the egde like Hatt did, but at least it would let in some more light and I wouldn't be tripping over it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI