Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Front deck hatch with vent

Like most of the MY's, I have that forward hatch that has the integrated vent. I really don't like having that thing stick up on the front deck. If I need ventilation, I can open it. I don't need a vent. It's just in the way. It would be better to replace it with a hatch that was solid and would let in more light. Mine doesn't leak, but I have talked to others who have had problems in heavy seas.

Has anyone replaced that hatch? It would seem that the flat convertible hatches are a better alternative.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Front deck hatch with vent

GREAT idea, Sky. I agree! Maybe we can get up a group buy from Sam's? This would be the perfect time for me during the re-paint.

3. Re: Front deck hatch with vent

I am putting in a glass and stainless hatch. It is supposed to show up next week. I will get Paul to put some pictures up when it gets here.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Cool Re: Front deck hatch with vent

I have thought about that same issue Sky because the factory hatch looks so ugly. However, I do actually like the vent for when I am NOT at the boat. It allows some air movement/heat escape with the hatch still secured.
    When you open this monster, it sure does let in a ton of appreciated light down below. Maybe your idea is better? I would like something more flat to wash and step around when topside.

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

I agree that they are not the prettiest things on the boat, but what I do like about the built-in vent is that I can still have the "windows open" when it's raining. On more occasions than I care to admit to all of you, I've left the forward hatch open for ventilation purposes, and woke up to a pouring rain and a flooded crew cabin floor; sometimes I was on the boat doing other things during a down pour and simply forgot it was open.

Everything on a boat is a trade-off, I suppose. Until someone comes up with a self-closing hatch that sensors rain , I think I'll keep my ventilated one, even as ugly as it is. Now, if you want to talk about something really ugly that Hatt did......whose idea was it to put in a sliding glass door, to the aft deck, like you'd find on the balcony of someone's condo? Yes, that was Hatteras thing on some 58s, not something with which someone replaced the pretty french doors.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

6. Re: Front deck hatch with vent

I have ordered a new stainless hatch from my window company for Boss Lady. It is being shipped tomorrow ( wed ) along with the new comapnion way door I designed.

I think the hatch openings are all going to be the same.

It is a "custom size" hatch for sure.

I should have this hatch by tuesday/wed of next week ( comming by truck with the door way )

Will post pics soon as I get it.

Just realized Chris already spoke about the hatch, sorry for the repeat !!

In my 51 years of boating experience, I've learned that hatches are that part of the boat that's specifically designed to let rain, spray, and bugs in while keeping fresh air out.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

call Slane .......... I just replaced the "scoop" bow hatch and the opaque middle pieces with glass inserts from slane ... much more light ... more contemporary look and a lot nicer.
    45C360-1970 ... "Good Bait" - Sag Harbor,NY
    31 Bertram Bahia Mar-1970 ... "Bertramp" - Ft Lauderdale
    21 Whaler Impact-1996 ... Ft Lauderdale, FL/Sag Harbor, NY

9. Re: Front deck hatch with vent

The Cats Meow

CE Approved. According to ISO/DIS Deck Hatches are approved for Area II, III, and IV, designs for craft type "any".

Polished 316 stainless steel Hatches, Low profile.

Will get pricing wed.

I cut out the dorade box in mine and put lexan in where the stainless vent was in the front of the scoop,painted the inside and outside and put all new hardware on. It allows alot more lite in and looks alot better also. I was going to cut out the entire scoop and decided against it because the hardware would not work properly,specifically the hold downs in the front. I think you could cut the entire center out and use lexan (3/8") and mount all the hardware on the lexan using the Hatt fiberglass perimeter as a frame. I kinda like the scoop design and decided to keep it albeit with the mods.......Pat