Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Steering too Stiff

Quote Originally Posted by JLR
    Sorry- one last idea. I recall that when I bought the boat, the PO had to tighten one of the rudder stuffing boxes to stop a leak. Any chance he tightened that too much and that is creating the problem?
    Yes, that could be it. That is exactly what I did and had the same result. Once I loosened it a little, it took care of the problem.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Either the fluid is to heavy or you have a bind somewhere in the linkages or packing glands at the rudders. Disconect the hydraulic ram and try it see if it's still stiff. Try to move the rudders by hand it should be hard but do able. Usually this problem is not just one major thing but a bunch of small stuff all working against you. I think I would do the above lube everthing correct any binds and then change out the fluid "Shell Airosill fluid 41" is good. Get more than you need so you can run it thru and clear out all the old fluid.

Good Luck
    Brian

JLR: as per all the above, it is either that the fluid is too thick (wrong spec) or that the rudder linkages themselves are binding. In order to really sort this out you probably have to haul the boat- but you can try to get to the truth with her in the water. Disconnect the Hynautic ram from the rudder arms and see how difficult it is to move the rudders (this is the part that is really easier to do with the boat hauled- much easier to move the rudders by hand with the boat out of the water). If the rudders are very stiff with the steering disconnected, then the logs may be screwed down too tightly or the rudder stocks may be binding in the rudder ports because of corrosion. You didn't mention whether there are grease fittings in the ports- sometimes there are. If so, grease them with a gun and waterproof grease.

If the rudders move okay in the ports, then the problem is in the Hynautic system. The fluid may be too thick, OR there may be a crimp in one of the steering hydraulic lines making it difficult for the helm to pump fluid to the ram. If you have the copper lines, they can get banged and crimped by stuff moving around in the boat while underway- check them as well.

I suppose the helm pump could be bad, too, but frankly they seem to work okay unless they leak. There is a series of small pumps in the helm unit that move fluid under pressure to move the ram.

Finally, as Mike said, the air pressure head is just to keep the fluid moving- it has nothing to do with the performance of the system in terms of aiding it to move the steering.

Had a dock neighbor last year in the spring same problem got real hard over winter said it was fine year before. Turned out to be in the rudders did not get details to what happened but it was in rudders I agree with above Look there.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Two quick thoughts. Just because the fluid is red doesn't mean it is the right stuff. I would only use aircraft MIL 5606 fluid. It also is red and correct. Put the correct head preassure on the tank, I think 25psi. and feel that you have done all you can do. I tighten the sh*# out of my rudder packings. You sure aint gonna burn them up like the prop shafts can. I have never seen any difference in the drag on the steering because of those tight packings. You would really have to reef on them to have any signifigant drag. Those shafts are quite small and the packing isn't a pipe wrench.

I am going to check it all this weekend. My bet is the rudder gland. PO swears steering was not stiff before he tightened the gland.

Steering is still way too stiff. Also, there is too much play in the steering for my tatse. I am having a mechanic check it under load this week. Before he does so, any other thoughts not mentioned above. Once again, it is fine at the dock or not under load but terrible under load (way too stiff--when she turns and way too much play--before she gets stiff and turns). I am relatively certain that Hatteras did not design it this way. For what it is worth, steering from the tower is even stiffer than from below. As mentioned before, I have the identical system on my 56 and it is not stiff at all.

Maybe too much offset in the rudders (toe in, toe out). Just another thing to check.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

9. Re: Steering too Stiff

Probably a rudder angle problem John. Someone dorked with the tie rod at some point in the past......
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Thanks folks. I hope to know Wednesday night and will report back.