Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Portlight restoration

Any great ideas on how to restore the portlights on an older boat?

Thanks
    Werner Schoenknecht-Mirage

Re: Portlight restoration

Portlights
    I Took All The Opening Parts Of My Portlights Off The Boat And Wirebrushed Them And Sanded All The Flakeing Chrome Off.. Then I Went To A Automotive Store And Bought Some Chrome Paint.. I Painted Them With The Chrome Paint.. They Looked Pretty Good But Not Outstanding.. I Went Back To The Automotive Store And Bought Some Gold Chrome Paint And Repainted. They Came Out Great Beautiful.. They Look Like Polished Brass .. I Then Masked All The Frames And Bulkheads Around The Frames And Painted Them Gold.. So Far Everyone Who Sees Them Asks Where Did You Get The Brass Portlights, They Look Great! I Am Happy With My Budget Fix For Portlights And Hope This May Be An Option For You... Mike

Re: Portlight restoration

How old a boat is it, what brand, and what is the portlight material? The late 60, mid-1970's and some later Hatt's had Fuller Brush Co. mfg'd portlights and new parts can be obtained from them.

I guess Fuller Brush had some excess injection molding capacity or maybe their President had a Hatt. Anyone know how Fuller got the business?
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

4. Re: Portlight restoration

He was one of Willis Slane's buddies up in High Point, NC when Slane founded Hatteras Yachts. The company still makes the original port lights and you can get them at Sam's.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com