Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Checklist for Triple cabin 38DC

Hi Guys,

Well it looks like I haven't jumped ship yet. I'm lining up while other buyers wonder whether they're really buying. First in line in the waiting list for 2 different boats, each one with its strong points. One will force me to sell a house, but it is way big and will take on any deep blue ocean. The other will only cost the price of a car, and she'll plane! The higher fuel cost would be way offset by far lower purchase/refit/recurring costs.

The small contender is a 38DC powered by trusty 8V53 naturals rated at 282hp. As backup buyer (they'd pen my name in the current buyer's contract if they back out) I'd need to have a quick checklist and would probably buy the boat without a survey.

Before you holler, the reasons are:
    - it remains in untampered original condition
    - price is really a fixer upper price
    - the boat won't need to be transported
    - its DDs have less than 4000 hours
    - Hatteras electricals are bullet proof
    - I'm ready to tackle balsa coring repairs as needed
    - Window / Eisenglass replacement doesn't scare me
    - I actually enjoy refinishing wood
    - she'd have a new lease on life if I restore her

To start with, my checklist is as follows:

- fire up the engines and see if they run under load
    - walk the upper decking in stocking feet and feel for soft spots
    - inspect interior for water damage
    - buy her

Now who's the craziest Mad Hatter online?

Rich
    Last edited by richardoren; 03-29-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Lightbulb Teensie Weenie engine room under salon floor

The part I really like:

Question Layout and Improving GPH / Speed ratios

The layout is about as tight as a shoe can fit:

From earlier posts, it seems that with this same engine a 41DC will top out at 17kts at WOT - this boat weighing 33,000 lbs, would it mean that it could go faster yet?

More importantly, my 34DC rides like a hog at displacement speed, weighing only 15,000lbs. Would this similar sized boat at twice the weight (lower center of gravity due to huge DD V8s versus my Chrysler gassers) ride the waves better when not on plane?

Also, might one prop this boat bigger (maybe even with 4-bladers) to bring it to plane at slower speeds? I've heard of this being done successfully on lighter boats, even if at the expense of max speed at WOT. The torque on the heavy 8V53s should be enough to allow for this. One thought is to increase injector size above the stock N50s to allow for better torque (and more fuel use) per rpm while potentially increasing top speed at WOT to compensate for speed loss of overpropping. Wouldn't this help prevent bearing wear from running at too high rpms at length? Or are there other issues (ie increased detonation stress / weakened valves) that should dissuade one from increasing injector jetting?

TIA

Richard

PS. In other threads I've seen posts of 41DC and 43DC owners with 6-71s (same displacement as 8V53s) who report fuel consumption at 9kts of between 3GPH and 12GPH - can they both be true?!?
    Last edited by richardoren; 03-07-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Unhappy Simple Question #1

It looks like my post didn't get replies as it was too confused.

So here is Simple Question #1:

What combined GPH should it get at 33,000lbs with 8V53Ns?

Thx

Red face Simple Question #2

Simple Question #2:

Is the start-up time / smoke time test sufficient for the engines?

Minty fresh = 3 to 5 seconds to start + 5 to 15 seconds of smoke
    Used but good = 5 to 15 seconds to start + 30 to 90 seconds of smoke
    Ready for rebuild = significantly longer than above

Thx

Question Simple Question #3

Simple Question #3:

The hull is solid FB - any reason to have it inspected (blisters don't matter)?

Thx

Exclamation Simple Question #4

Simple Question #4:

If I check decks for rot and windows for leaks - what use is a Surveyor aside from adding up grievances?

Thx

Re: Checklist for Triple cabin 38DC

I'm not a big fan of surveys, engine or hull. An experience boater that has a good knowledge of the model he is buying will find as much or more of the problems that the surveyor will find. I did, however, get a hull survey on my boat when I bought her, but that was mainly for the insurance company.

Not everyone can do this. Some are just not up to basically doing their own survey and some have no desire to do it either. But, who is making the purchase? You are. And who cares more about not spending their money on something that is just one big problem? Again, that would be you. The surveyor isn't going to own the boat. He wants to make sure that he looks competent and that he earns repeat business and a good reputation, but that's it.

Many others here disagree with my view on this, but I have found so many things that surveyors never see, that I just don't find them to be worth the expense. When I look at a boat, I know whether or not I'm going to buy it before I have a survey. If the boat is questionable, I'm not going to spend the money on a survey when I may not even buy it. That money is then gone and I have to start all over again. How many times can most of us afford to do that?

The point is that it is your investment and you have feel comfortable with the decision you make. If getting surveys helps you to do that, then get them done. If you don't find them necessary, then go that route. Just remember, that you will probably need a survey to obtain insurance.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I agree 100% w/Sky. I would never get a survey if it wasn't required because I can do it a lot better than the surveyor will. I have never had a survey where the surveyor found something that I didn't. The opposite has occurred every time. Unfortunately, for insurance you probably need one; for financing you certainly do. If I could have paid cash for our 53, there's no way I would have paid for a survey. At least I had and chose the option not to give away money for an engine survey.

It's totally a comfort factor based on your feelings. Don't think for a second that a glowing hull/engine survey will detect that the bilge pump(s) will quit tommorow and sink the boat or (more common) an engine could grenade that same day.

I will qualify my above statements...If you are not mechanical and not familiar with engines then it would be stupid of me to not recommend that SOMEBODY who is take a look at the engines. This doesn't mean they have to be an "official" engine surveyor. THe same is true of the hull; I would (grudgingly) admit that a first-time buyer of anything with multiple systems on it should have a surveyor check it out.

THere is no magic to engines at all and if you can repair your lawn mower engine, you can "survey" and maintain your big 'ol DD whatever. It just takes more tools, a (MUCH) bigger service manual, a LOT more time (and money), and the willingness to do it.

Wow - I started this thinking I was going to write a sentence just stating I agreed with Sky!

I agree totally, Problem is, the insurance companies don't agree.

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com