Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Re: Jack/Orca's Repower Thread

sammidog....haven't even gotten the engines crankin yet so I don't know what to expect for routine replacement parts yet.....That schedule will be put together soon...I will follow it like my damn beagle follows the neighborhood cats!

I need to change my fill cap to say diesel....minor issue...but is there a difference between the actual fill neck ect in a diesel application or can I just change the cap from gas to diesel?

Tank is being filled as I type!

Quote Originally Posted by sammidog View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but I know exhaust manifolds in gas engines in salt water are good for 3 -5 years. Do diesel exhaust manifolds have the same life expectancy?
    Most have a very long life expectancy. A few need to be monitored. If you can tell us which engines you have we may be able to give you a more accurate answer. Wet vs. Dry, Turbo vs. Natural all makes a difference.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Most have a very long life expectancy. A few need to be monitored. If you can tell us which engines you have we may be able to give you a more accurate answer. Wet vs. Dry, Turbo vs. Natural all makes a difference.
    Crusaders have a wet,(seawater), riser and elbow. If they corrode through, it will destroy your engine. Some diesels have dry risers which have heat blankets. They wisely inject the sea water on the down side so leaks to the inside are not an issue. It all goes downhill and out the tailpipe. Crusaders in fresh water have no problems.

Thanks guys. It was kind of a generic question. I was sort of thinking Cat 3208 or 3116,3126 or cummins 5.9 liters. It is kind of a non issue as I don't think I can afford diesels anyway. The ones I can afford I don't know if I want-- 8.2 Detroit, 3116 cat.

Uhhh...you probably don't. Honestly.

This is the first time I've used a prop bushing. Do these things slide in smoothly into the prop or do they need pressed in? I know the key on my shaft and old props was smooth but I was thinking this bushing will probably slide in tight or have to be pressed in so it does not move.

Opinions?

I haven't used these in years, but I would think AntiSeize all the bits, put the bushing on the shaft, and then lap the prop to the bushing...then assemble it all with the key after you wipe the compound off? Comments?

What are you guys using as far as engine oil and tranny fluid in these cummins engines? Do the trannies use the typical dexron III or somethinge t different? I do not have the owner manuals seiatrial is sceduled for Wed. Everything looks to be ready at this point.

By the way....those props I picked up for a steal are installed and look AWESOME! Hope they work out...I'll know soon!
    Last edited by Jackman; 06-10-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Jackman, If the mauals say 15W40 is the right viscosity I always use shell rotella T in my Dodge with the 5.9 liter Cummins engine. I had engine oil analysis done once a year and at 170,000 miles when I sold the truck my samples were well below universal averages and I changed it every 4500 to 5000 miles. I still use it in my 05 dodge now. It says it meets cummins requirements but I don't know about marine requirements.

BTW, Are you getting any sleep? I know, if I were in your shoes, Wednesday couldn't come fast enough.
    Last edited by sammidog; 06-10-2007 at 08:40 PM.