Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rudder Bearings?

I have read many previous threads on repacking rudders and replacing bearings. I can move both of my rudders by hand under the boat and they have what I am sure is too much play. Now is the time to deal with it since we're out of the water.

Some say that there are no bearings (?) and others say that there are bearings and that they are the same as the shaft bearings but half the length. If there are no bearings, what do you do about the extra play? Just repack and see if that helps the looseness? That doesn't sound right. The bedding is fine and they do not leak, but they feel loose from the bottom.

Suggestions/clarificantions anyone??

Re: Rudder Bearings?

My 60C has half length cutlass bearings just above the "hull line".
    They're a pita to get out, and must be removed from the bottom after the rudder(s) are removed. It takes a custom made extra long punch from the top, (they're up against a blind shoulder) and you'll probably have to saw a slot through the bearing vertically with a sawzall or similar to losen the grip in the bore. It's not real easy....be patient.
    If you drop the rudders and don't see cutlass bearings, clean the area, you might be surprized, they fill up with gunk and hide!
    I couldn't say if your boat is the exact same setup, but we're talking about classic Hatts, right?
    My guess is you'll find the same thing.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Thanks LuckyDave, that's what I would expect to find. What confused me was that in researching this topic on this site, there are conflicting reports of some having a 1/2 length cutlass and others having none(?) at all. I have repacked my share of shaft logs and replaced many cutlass bearings over the years, but I have never had the pleasure of replacing a rudder bearing. It's time to dive into it next week, so I thought I would post here to see if there was a consensus of opinions.

Did you read that thread where Doug Shuman replaced his rudder bearings last winter? It had some good pictures. I think this is it:

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ghlight=rudder
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

There are definitely bearings and they are definitely half of a cutlass bearing. Call Sams and they'll sell you a cutlass bearing and cut it in half. My thread showed how to get it out with pictures and how I put the new ones in with a hydraulic jack. However, the trick of putting the new ones in a freezer overnight first is really the best way to install them.

Repacking will not help if they're loose. The loose shaft wobbling in the bearing will just loosen up the packing quickly because packing is only made to seal a shaft that turns exactly on its axis, not one that can move laterally. Also check your rudder table bearings. These are the big bushings at the top of the rudder and the bushing flange bolts can become loose, allowing to rudder to move at the top end which also wears out the bearing and packing. On mine, the rudder table end has the clamping assembly that holds the rudder up. Gotta have something or somebody outside to prevent them from dropping onto the hard.

Good Luck,

Doug Shuman

I read through many previous rudder-related posts before starting this thread, especially your excellent narrative and pics Doug and also Murray's (first230sl) because his boat is a '71 58YF and mine is a '72 58YF.

I'll dig into the rudders next week along with replacing exhaust hose, installing new Slane swim platform, etc, etc, etc!

I found one rudder had some play on my 48MY. The mech changed the triangle plate (I think it was called) and it made a great improvement. This is probably the same as the table bearing described earlier.

Bob

I did it the stupid way!! I took my whole assembly out. Mine were so bad and loose that at one point i put new packing in while an equivalnt to niagra falls was flowing in (what it seamed like when i took out the packing in the water) . It was shot two days later. thats when i decided to replace. Of course i dropped the worst one first and it had no rubber left so i thought it needed to be replaced or boored and sleeved/shimmed at a machine shop. So i took the whole thing out. I took the second one out and found that there was a regular cutlass bearing in it.Then i cut a what was left of the rubber so i could then cut the brass sleeve with a long saws all blade, . I Still couldnt tap it out so i sprayed it with penetrating oil and through some light heat to it on the out side. then it poped right out using the persuader and a brass drift. Iused emory on the inside then froze the new ones and the popped right in.

Mine are still out and i will try to post some pics if you want. the link mentioned above has some pics.
    Last edited by mopester; 04-01-2007 at 11:20 PM.
    I drive Boats and Save People!!!
    See my projects at the link

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ter/?start=all

Yep, there are definately cutlass bearings in there because i can see the old rubber hanging down a bit out of the rudder port. I'll get a new cutlass coming while I drop the rudders.

Question: Do the rudder logs use the same size packing as the shaft logs? The shafts are 2" and take a 1/2" packing. I'm going to order the GFO packing as recommended here. I figure one pack for each shaft and one pack for each rudder. Does that sound correct if I plan to put three pieces in each log?

THANKS!

10. Re: Rudder Bearings?

They did on my boat (45C)
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker