Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

getting others to go to the dark side

I have been on Boat Us as some of you know, Freebird threads take on a life of their own. Long and the short some of the sea ray carver bayliner owners were cutting on vintage hats so i started to defend our honor, recommend reading some of the posts, i will paraphrase:

57 carver late model MY, owner calls it a 60 but who is counting. anyhow he says economy of a light weight boat is a plus, his weighs 59000 lbs. owner of a hatteras 60c who may be a member here,not sure, state his was 116k lbs and his fuel burn was not that different from the carver.

now if i knew nothing of boats and saw the raw numbers I would say the 116k boat was far superior. Anyhow mabe posting stuff on sites like boat us will get a few others to take a look at the treasures that we love and enjoy.

funny that the guizcruiser at 68' and 130klbs+ burnd about the same fuel as the 57 carver at hull speed. the other funny thing is the guy with the carver did not even pick up on this.

Re: getting others to go to the dark side

I was exagerating because thats how the thred started , but theres no way that guys Carver can do 30knts with Volvos maybe down hill ,or down stream in some rapids
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

I got to chit chat with a Bayliner MY owner this last weekend. It was an eye opening conversation. His dream boat was a Mainship and all he talked about was the foo foo stuf like the stove/grill on the back deck. He was happy to stay in the ICW and knew his boat was crap in rough seas. It served his needs as he would never go offshore. I guess if you never take your boat in to rough seas there is no reason to have a Hatteras as they really are fat pigs.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Fat pig or Foo Foo boat, the weather does not know the difference. Eventually you WILL get caught out in it(unless you never leave the dock). When that storm rolls through, that grill and few cupholders doesn't really do ya to much good, does it?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

owner of a hatteras 60c who may be a member here,
    Yeah, that's me. I couldn't resist setting some of those guys straight.
    My slip neighbor has the same boat (Carver 570 Voyager) and reports she really does 26 knots (fast nonetheless) with the POS Volvo's that this mechanic has to work on every week.
    He tok her to Cabo last winter, and paid a captain to bring her back (it's a long slog to weather coming back "uphill").
    He said the boat did great, the only problem she had was one forward porthole blew in in heavy weather, blasting the forward stateroom with salt water and requiring complete refinishing.
    He thought that was normal for all boats. I kept quiet, didn't want to hurt his feelings.........
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I wonder how many 40 year old Carvers look as good as the Catherine Mae or for that matter, just about any classic 30-40 year old Hatt. Did they even make those corks back then? To some folks quality means nothing, look at Daewoo for example.
    Illegitimum non carborundum
    My drinking team has a fishing problem.

Yeah, that's me. I couldn't resist setting some of those guys straight.
    Hey Dave after your post with the pictures and the Guy replied decent enough Boat I almost choked That when I knew it was a waste of time there. Just remember you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink.
    On their behalf there are a lot of boaters ( aka weekend warriors) who just don't go into big water. They do boat every weekend but just don't go far. So for them a Big hatt or any Hatt is just wrong. Imagine taking a 15-20 min trip the poor motors would never get to temp and roll over a play dead after a few season I know of a 1970's 36C It is in pretty nice shape and just sits at the dock all season but owner does not want to sell and that is a shame!!!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Hey Dave after your post with the pictures and the Guy replied decent enough Boat I almost choked
    What he actually said was " OK boat, not the prettiest"............

I guess his center console is more "yachtie" than a classic Hatt.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215
    What he actually said was " OK boat, not the prettiest"............

I guess his center console is more "yachtie" than a classic Hatt.
    Let them rot in their own misery......
    Since I saw your ER I have been doing plans to improve mine.

Miguel
    Morrocoy
    Venezuela

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Hatteras had a distinct look, as did Post, Bertram and others. From a pure looks standpoint, the old Buddy Davis' are as good as it gets for me. The folks with the lighter foo foo boats are correct in the fact that they are faster and more fuel efficient. There is a growing number of folks in that segment. This winter we have only been able to get out 6-8 times due to the weather. There is only one other boat in our marina that got out more than us and it was a Hatt too. I guess there are those who are more interested in what a boat has than what it does.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son