Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice

Exclamation Need advice

I have 1987 52' Convertible that was originally a Hatteras of Lauderdale Boat. That means the boat is covered with mirrors and Lucite. On the walls, the ceiling etc. We cant's stand it anymore. So I ordered some afromosia vaneer, solid teak and Hatteras headliner. I removed all the mirrors in the master stateroom and replaced with Hatteras headliner and afromosia. The afromosia that came from Sam's was not finished or stained. It is very light. I assume I will need to stain the vaneer. Does any one have any suggestions which a stain will match a Late 80's Hatteras? The solid teak we used is much lighter in color than the teak trim on the rest of the boat. Is there an oil I can use to make it darker and richer like all the original teak trim in the boat? Thanks in advance!

MPP
    "The Good Stuff"
    1987 52' Convertible
    Catawba Island, Ohio

Re: Need advice

Starman is the brains on this, PM him. Thanks for all your advice Paul !!!!!

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com

I have had good luck with Watco Danish Oil finish, and also Minwax stains. You should have some scraps left over- experiment on them. Paul is the MOST knowledgeable person on all this on the forum, probably because he does it every day and for a long time.

Be aware that the afromosia, like teak, will darken over time. I have glued up veneer in the head and replaced trim all over my 37 and it is still darkening. I would try adding some stain to the urethane if you are in a hurry. Then you can approach the shade gradually.
    Robb Unger
    865-389868 cell
    Knoxville, TN
    robbaunger@bellsouth.net

Supposedly Sams has the stain that is an exact match to the old Dupont 704. I'd start there.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

6. Re: Need advice

Thanx for the votes of confidence Rick and Jim

KB,

I used some of the stain years ago, although not a fan of it. I do prefer a varnish. Aside from that personal preference of mine, Steve @ Sams Marine sells the oil used on these panels/trim.

These woods will darken in time. Just be patient. If you stain the wood first, then apply the oil, in time you may end up with a too dark panel or odd color panel(s)

Teak and afromosia have natural oils in them and are affected by sunlight. When the oils in the wood dry, the wood will become lighter. But when you apply this wiping oil from Sams, it will saturate the wood, and the combination of this new oil and the natural will eventually grow darker.

I would apply at least 3 coats.

If you decide to go with a polyurethane, apply at least 4 coats, sanding in between coats.

I hope this helps a bit. By the way, I never did like the mirrors on the walls covering up all that wood. But that was the " back in the day" thing to do.

I was on one boat where everything ( the walls ) were covered in teak tambour. The ceilings in mirror tambour. Tambour every where.

Thanks Guys! Great advice. I'll start experimenting today.

MPP
    1987 52' Convertible
    "The Good Stuiff"
    Catawba Island, Ohio

Check out 'Wood Crafter's' stains too. We found some that come
    closer than the Minwax. The real issue will be the wood itself. Grains vary so much......

Bob

Would it be the same stain as a 1974 hat. i have several gallons. START WITH GOOD TAPE AS IT WILL STAIN ANYTHING IT TOUCHES.

IF YOU NEED SOME I HAVE IT.

CAPTAIN HOWIE