Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boat Security

Boat Security

Can anybody recommend a security system for a boat. I'd be interested in what some of the members are using and what works (or seems to anyway).

Thanks,
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Boat Security

We have an Ademco security system with wireless magnetic sensors on all the exterior entrances and on the storage doors under the flybridge helm. It was installed by the PO and runs off the batts. It is not connected at all to ac though it can be. There are no motion sensors; I don't think you could use them on a boat anyway but I'm no alarm expert.

If triggered, a loud yelping horn activates. It works fine. It's just a household unit - not "marine" at all. But has been on the boat since at least the early 90's and with no problems. Occasionally a new battery in the various mag sensors is the only maintanance required.

Obviously there are much newer units with all sorts of features - like notifying you at home if the alarms trigger. I don't think I'd want that with a boat 3000 miles away!

3. Re: Boat Security

I know Pascal will agree with my answer... LIVEABOARDS.

We are now up to 8 full time liveaboards at my 21 slip marina... If we don't see you on the dock, the 3 "boat dogs" will.........

It's kinda neat as the 3 dogs "know" when the regulars are walking on the dock (they don't bark) as opposed to an "outsider".....

We haven't locked our boat up in the 5 years we've been at this marina (like it would be tough for someone to breakin anyway).

But I also know I need something for when we are out cruising or docked somewhere else.... Kinda like what Mike has...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

My dual layer system is pictured below. About 50% of the boats on my dock have at least one of these.

Lots of live aboards too.
    Last edited by Boatsb; 10-09-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I prefer this "final alarm" but of course, you have to be there to use it:
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    I prefer this "final alarm" but of course, you have to be there to use it:
    But it's a great comfort when you are there!

I have several pieces which I cherish. But my small Glock 45 is a my favorite. If you miss the noise will scare anything away. I can't "roll a can" but I ain't bad.

Hope I never have to use it.

(thought about using it at a couple of boat yards in the past though)

Talk about stealing your own thread
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Same setup as Mike P but with two additions. I have visible CCTV cameras that I monitor and make it known that they are on all of the time. I also have a small flashing red led near each pilothouse door that also, flashes all of the time.

I don't care for the Glock. I like having a safety and that trigger safety is just not doing it for me. I prefer the 1911's or my Springfield XD. At least the XD has a grip safety in addition to the one on the trigger. The last thing I want to do is shoot myself.

If you are just looking for an alarm, I agree that anything with a motion sensor could be a problem. The boat rolls a little and something aboard moves and sets it off. You would probably have to have a glass break sensor, door contacts, or both.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Here is one we looked at when we were racing karts...
    http://www.tattletalealarm.com/product/index.php
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

10. Re: Boat Security

Flagship marine in Florida Makes a nice alarm for boats.

www.flagshipmarine.com

Just click on their alarm section down at the bottom.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website