Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Where we like to buy or stuff

I just got an email from Jamestown dist.---5200 is on sale at $10.99 a tube. Compare at WM for...? ws

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill
    I just got an email from Jamestown dist.---5200 is on sale at $10.99 a tube. Compare at WM for...? ws
    Geeeez!

I don't get it. I just can't get it!

I thought you were buying marine items from K-Mart and on Sunday morning.

Glad to hear you have moved up in the world.

Not to deviate too much from forum ettiquet but when you gonna move that sub further north?
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

The K Mart closed here and Walmart doesnt carry 5200 ! If I need a distributor cap for my 12-71s on a Sunday morning I'm gonna be in deep doo doo! I did catch their last blue light special and picked up a 1.460 timing gauge tho...
    I started buying from Jamestown when they had a 15 page catologue. LOL.
    As we speak, I am waiting for a call to start a turbine installation job at a local refinery. That will last 3 months, so it looks like about June 1 for a departure date. Wanna go? If the job doesnt pan out maybe around mid April.
    Ive got 8 new batteries, and a new Raritan head to be installed, then away we go !! ws

Thanks God, up to now I have not needed any Hatteras specific spares. The day I do, there is no doubt on my mind that for practical and ethical reasons my first choice will be Sam's. Their prices should be WAY off as to not order there. After all the technical experience we all use from them, the old parts they keep for us, this forum,...everything has a price, and I would feel very cheap buying from another source due to a small (reasonable) difference in price.

Now for the everyday stuff, living in Venezuela I need a provider that offers not only good prices, but SERVICE. My orders, small orders really, are always special in the sense that many times they have to look for a part, sometimes not even related to their business, order it, hold it for me, or deliver to my forwarder, etc,...
    I was lucky to find Hopkins Carter (www.hopkins-carter.com). Call the store near the Miami Airport, just across from Alamo Rent a Car and ask for Parks Masterson, the owner. Or email him. This guy will do practically anything to help you. I am sure you will not be disapointed. Tell him Miguel from Venezuela sent you. He will be glad to know I appreciate and recommend him for his efforts to help, even if this means getting off his way to do so.
    Miguel
    Morrocoy
    Venezuela

Mike,

Re living in Venezuela - do you live on the boat or nearby? Is the boat in a marina or moored or what?

As far as parts, I've found that here in Mexico, everything I used to order via the internet has duty charged to it and may take MANY weeks to arrive because of that - my wife ordered a textbook for classes she is taking - took 8 weeks to get delivered. Therefore it seems impractical to actually order anything that way. Then again, if something isn't available here, there isn't much choice I guess.

I haven't yet determined where our 53MY will be but it will be SOMEWHERE on the Pac coast of Mexico by the end of this year and probably sometime this summer.

I could do a mooring here for next-to-nothing but I'm not comfortable with the boat in the water with no way to keep the batts charged although I know there are remote systems available to start/run/stop the genny which could alleviate that issue. Again- I'm not too comfortable having the genny running routinely without anyone being aboard.

I'd be interested in your experiences if you care to share them. Don't hesitate to emai me if you'd rather not respond here.

Thanks,

MikeP

I've updated the original list but still looking for more suppliers, anyone?

My local favorite is San Diego Marine Exchange. It is a local shop and prices are fair compared to WM et al.
    The only other that I would add is for a specific item- pneumatic lifts. I had trouble finding replacement for the heavy engine access/seat lift on my SX. Sams directed me to SUSPA (suspa.com I think). They were great and "made" the 2 lifts I needed that were out of production based on the old specs. They work like a charm.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    Mike,

Re living in Venezuela - do you live on the boat or nearby? Is the boat in a marina or moored or what?

Thanks,

MikeP
    Hello MikeP! I just came back from the boat. I don't live aboard. The boat is in a closed marina. It is not the kind of marinas you have, at least the ones I have seen in your country. On the plus side it is VERY friendly, I have been there now for about thirty years and of course I feel like I am family. We have running water coming from the mountain, it is very hard water, note that I said running water, not drinking water. If you don't have a filter you get bugs, small frogs, tadpoles, you name it....but even though we, and everybody keep telling the kids not to drink it, they play with it all the time and they end up swallowing some, but up to now I have not seen a kid with parasites or getting sick because of this water, so it is probably not that bad. I guess it rises their defenses so they are inmune to Moctezuma's revenge. There is 120 VAC and 220 VAC. There is a large generator too that backs up the system if power fails. There is security provided by paid local guys.They know everybody and spot "no goods" real quick. It takes me about 2 hours 15 min to drive ther, using about 50% highway and the rest paved potholed two lane road and dirt road were you can practice you rally driving skills. There is an excellent road going there too but usually the traffic is very heavy on weekends so I take the scenic road instead. There are a couple of guys working there daily, whom I trust entirely. They have keys of the boat and if something strikes them as odd they get in and check. They both are very good boatmen, being equally at ease talking you to fish or fixing whatever.
    I would say that you should be able to get something similar in Mexico, being let's say similar cultures. For sure Mexico is more spoiled by tourism, and people will try happily to take your green ones, but you should try. I would not dare to leave the boat unattended.
    If you are interested I will send you a picture of the place.
    Miguel

PS I remember when I was in Mexico, many years ago, we went from Mexico City to Acapulco by bus and it took all the night to get there. How long does it take now to get from Ciudad de Mejico to the Pacific coast.
    Morrocoy
    Venezuela

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    Mike,

Thanks,

MikeP

MikeP, I just checked and I found a lot of typos in my reply,...please excuse me, I still have the sun in my eyes.

Miguel
    Morrocoy
    Venezuela

Thought I'd put this back up for additions or reference.