Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Where we like to buy our stuff

I'd like to start a list of the suppliers we have had good experiences with ( Low prices, great service, good availability, ship fast, etc.). Please add to this and include any comments as to why you are recommending someone to us.

www.defender.com
    www.jamestowndistributors.com
    www.consumersmarine.com
    www.lewismarine.com
    www.boatersworld.com
    www.hamiltonmarine.com
    www.boatownerswarehouse.com
    www.samsmarine.com
    www.boatfix.com
    www.hopkins-carter.com
    www.surplusunlimited.com
    www.mesamarine.com
    www.fisheriessupply.com
    www.cmsquick.com
    www.westmarine.com

Sorry I didn't get to this but several of the suppliers I have listed are here because others on other threads have recommended them. I've had good experiences with Hamilton Marine and Boaters World. Boaters World due to their catalog, price matching and instock selection also you can save on shipping special orders by having the items shipped to their store and pick up there. Hamilton has great personalized service and many peoplpe who have been in the industry for many years, plus they are a small business (always tops on my list).

Please include URL'S when possible and I will continue to add those suppliers to this list.
    Last edited by Mark B; 07-11-2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: additional info

Re: Where we like to buy or stuff

Well, uhh..., that place in Ramseur, NC, yea, and, uhh... one in Ft. Lauderdale too? ("Sam's" I think??) They seem to be pretty good folks. I'd give 'em a try. They will even return your phone call or email!!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Yeah, that is a good place and if memory serves correctly the URL is:

www.samsmarine.com

Someone also mentioned:

www.boatfix.com too

Yes - Sams will research what you need and hunt through old stock - "I think I saw one of those a couple of years ago; I'll look and call you back." Yep - found two of them (oem Tachs).

I've talked to Mike there several times and ordered parts from him. One time he called me back a couple times to verify a couple things about my particular boat. I can't say enough good about Sams.

Mark, you asked that folks explain why they liked whatever particular company but you didn't mention why you liked the ones you listed. THe only one of them I have used is Consumers Marine - they had the best prices I have found on electronic equipment and they were very quick to sort out a delivery problem at no cost and minimal time to me.

Sams offers a service that is priceless. No I don't mean putting up with Randy. They serve the Hatteras owners who need replacement items for boats made over 40 years ago. No other store out there has their knowledge and there are fewer people out there with this knowledge alive today.

As someone who repaired boats for years I know where all the junk can be bought. Rule bilge pumps and other cheap versions but the Hatteras people used quality items and getting them is so much easier with the help of Sams. Luckily I have not needed too much from them but I will in the future as I redo systems on the boat.

I have comercial accounts with a few of the suppliers and know I can get the basic comodities easily but when I needed a window gasket set ( 9 portholes) and i called Sams ( yes I calles no email for suppliers. If you want my money answer my calls) they immediately knew what I needed even though I gave them the wrong manufacturer of the portholes. They know their stuff. Like a neurosurgeon they have their speciality.

Now I hope to only need filters and fluids for a while but if something comes up that is hatteras specific I have 2 choices

1) buy something local and cheap then modify the system to fit it.

2) Get the right part from the right prople. (The money I save in option one is lost in time and labor to make the system lower quality)

My local suppliers of marine items are

Lewis Marine Cocoa
    Napa Cocoa.
    Interstate batterys Orlando
    Amazon Hose Orlando
    AutoMachine Orlando ( diesel machine shop)
    Central auto parts
    Bethel marine electronics ( wholesale and retail)

Other products of interest (to some)
    Lectrosonics wireless audio
    SONY Broadcast and Professional
    APPLE computer
    HP/Compaq
    Tektronix
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    Mark, you asked that folks explain why they liked whatever particular company but you didn't mention why you liked the ones you listed. THe only one of them I have used is Consumers Marine - they had the best prices I have found on electronic equipment and they were very quick to sort out a delivery problem at no cost and minimal time to me.
    Good point!

I'd like to add that a couple of Mark's choices, Defender and Consumers, have a superior indexing system making it easy and expedient to locate what you are looking for - much unlike WM and Boatersworld - very frustrating, time consuming!

Nice Thread Mark.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

In southeast Michigan I like to buy my stuff at Mike's Marine. Great and knowledgable folks with good prices. In Miami, I go to Carter-Hopkins near Dinner key marina. They are also good folks with good prices.

I recently started something like this on the Worst Marine thread, but deleted it since it didn't really go there. So, Mark, I'm glad you got this one going.

Sam's, of course, is a great resource for questions, advice, and parts. I have also used Defender quite often and find them to be helpful, especially on special order items. Other good experiences are with: Boatfix, Jamestown Dist., Sailrite, WMJ Marine, and Hamilton Marine.

Quite a few years ago, the only mail order place to get stuff for bigger boats was Freeport Marine but I don't know if they are still around. It seemed that if you wanted the HD model of whatever, you couldn't get it at WM or BoatUS, but Freeport would have it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I've found outstanding prices at www.boatfix.com
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Surplus Unlimited.....Daytona, Fl www.surplusunlimited.com
    I have used them for many years locally. I have no idea how the online orders are.

Depco was great to me

Sams Marine has been more than helpful

Jamestown has been helpful in the past
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son