Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Applying Imron paint

No one even mentioned the primer and preparation. before any paint the prep is the most important part. Do the prep for Imron Get it really smooth and ready for paint and it the painting worries you have someone els do the Imron coats. Better saye than sorry.

FWIW Imron/ Awlfrip and most other pro paints have similar safety precautions. Learn them and it's like owning a gun. Most of the safety rules are the same.

I guess that any can of Imron should be considered loaded.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Re: Applying Imron paint

Spraying urethane paint is a breeze !

A few little trix, but I know you can do it !!
    Prep prep prep as always ! Stay upwind. Spray a DRY tack coat. wait 10 minutes.
    Spray a 5 mil wet coat and go have lunch. Come back and admire your handy work !! Keep the work well of the ground or anywhere dust will contaminate it.
    As always, spray INTO the unpainted area leaving a "wet" edge behind you. The
    thing that scares guys the most, is it goes on THIN. They try to cover with one
    coat and it runs all over the place. If the tack and one coat doesnt do it, wait
    30 minutes and repeat steps 1 & 2. Practice on a similar sized piece to get your
    speed, thinners, pressures and coverage down. After prepping, I can paint my 36 Roamer in less than an hour ! Need a helper to mix batches as I go. ws

3. Re: Applying Imron paint

applying paint is not rocket science, but you do need to do it enough to get some experience. Come on, think about it, how many painters have you met that were real good painters, and were usually drunk when they laid that masterpiece! LOL don't be intimidated, just try it. there is no magic. Some people think you have to be a drunken high school drop out to be a good painter.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com