Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hull numbers

Hull numbers

Since Byron (exsailor) just bought a 1985 53ED that is hull #740 and I own a 1985 that is hull #759 and DLCameron owns #760, does that mean that they built at least 21 ED's that year? I assume that's true, but I'm not exactly sure how the numbering works. It would just be interesting to know how many were built each year. I know we've discussed the proprietary nature of these numbers before and how Hatteras seems less than willing to release them. It just got me thinking, that's all.

If that is true for the ED, then you mulitply that by how many other models and you come up with a pretty large number as far as overall production that year. That's impressive. I know Hatteras has built a bunch of boats, but I never knew it was that many. I wonder what their best year was as far as overall units produced.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Hull numbers

This pretty girl just showed up at Aqua ( maybe a slip holder there ) and really looks almost flawless and un-molested. Name is FIFTH AVENUE and doc'd out of Florence,Al. 1983 and what a GEM !! ws

Sky,

I believe I know the history on Byron's 53EDMY (exsailor) it too has a good MI background and I was on that boat several times as well - go figure

I continue to be impressed with the production level Hatteras had in the 1980's if there was any way to convince them that flush decks are the way to go -- again -- that would be great... Though I am sure production pricing has gone up quite a bit...

I think the pictures Yachtsmanbill posted of "Fifth Avenue" are of a boat that is currently on the market!

Warm Regards,
    Jack

I didnt see any 4 sale signs, but if I were looking for an expensive 53 that would be the one. Even the bottom paint was perfect! ws

I believe that the hull numbering system that Hatteras used for the 53's included all models produced in the series, eg. ED, MY, CMY, and convertible. There would likely be some classic MY's included in that spread from 740-760.

Tom,
    That would make sense. Probably all 1510 hulls had one numbering system.

Jack,
    Thank you for filling in some of the history on my boat. Now what is the story on Byron's new beauty?
    Sky Cheney

The engine vents have been removed on the boat in MS. I wonder if he is awaiting some new Slane vents!?! NICE BOAT!!!

Yachtsmanbill, I like how we are all out in-force documenting the Hats! How cool, I have a very special love for the 53 ED's - given there is no name on the transom I am wondering if Fifth Ave sold? It was listed a few weeks back and I distinctly remember the name on the transom.

Sky I believe Byron’s new beauty started out life on the Great Lakes as “La Mirage” – it was kept at Jefferson Beach in St. Clair Shores. I believe it then sold to a guy from Bloomfield Hills who owned a fabric company and was renamed “Material Girl” and if memory serves me, he dumped a ton of cash into the boat and it was a show stopper. I believe this owner downsized to a 50 searay express and the boat sold to the former owner of Sun Dog marina in Clinton Township and was renamed “Sun Dog” and was kept in the covered boat houses at McMachen (SP?) in Harrison Township and was right next to our 46 Uniflite for several years and I don’t think it was used much. I seem to remember two sit-down jet-skis on the flybridge of the boat which were added when she was “Material Girl” now it looks like they were replaced with a much more practical RIB.

I want to say it sold a year or so ago and came down to FL as “Live Slow” and now she sold to Byron – I was on the boat a few times as “Sun Dog” and it was absolutely spotless Sky -- much like your boat was when we visited it in the boat house…

We cruised Tobermory and the North Chanel with the owners of La Mirage when I was younger and that trip sealed the deal for me and the 53EDMY…

I never looked that close... I thought they were covered to keep the heat in. I did mine that way, plus a lot of other in water folks here, and it made a world of difference. The draft actually pulled the visquine in and the heat was blasting out of the deck ventilators.Covered those too. Thermometer in the ER holds at 65F when its 35 outside. That 53 is so nice that I mite even take off my engineer boots to go onboard... NOT!! Homey dont play that ws

Jack,
    You, my friend, have a great memory for boat names and owners. I looked on the CG documentation site and this is what it says:

Vessel Name: LIVE SLOW USCG Doc. No.: 679750
    Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
    Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: *
    Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: HATCN740H485
    Ship Builder: AMF HATTERAS YACHTS Year Built: 1984

Length (ft.): 52.9
    Hailing Port: WOLCOTT NY Hull Depth (ft.): 9.3
    Owner: JOHN K DELYSER
    4392 ROUTE 104
    WILLIAMSON, NY 14589 Hull Breadth (ft.): 15.3
    Gross Tonnage: 50
    Net Tonnage: 40
    Documentation Issuance Date: December 12, 2006 Documentation Expiration Date: December 31, 2007
    Previous Vessel Names: SUNDOG
    MATERIAL GIRL
    IN TRANSIT
    Previous Vessel Owners: ANTHONY DI VERGILIO

I'm sure Byron will be interested in this history.
    Sky Cheney