Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Transducer Location

O.k myself and Steve (67hat34c) both have 34C's and have or transducer a little back from the forward bulkhead. Both of us get a lot of air bubbles when going fast. Mine was beautiful until my repower so the boat is out of the water more.
    So we have to move them back some so I am looking for ( How far back do I go)? I am thinking about the area near the Transmissions. Anyone with a 34 or 36 that cruise at 20 kts or above have any suggestions from where theirs are placed.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Re: Transducer Location

Mine shoots through the hull of our 1977 36C. It is mounted in a "wet box" about 5 feet from the stern, and about 6 inches off the centerline. Works fine at 24 KNT cruise. You might try that first. Just dam up a 6" diameter wet spot about 1" high with sealing putty from an electrical supply place and pour in enough water to keep it wet. If you like the way it works, you can glass in something more permanent. Try moving it around a few inches/feet if it doesn't work right at first. I have heard that sticking the transducer to the inside of the hull with silicone also works, but havn't done so myself, so can't say for sure. Regards, Bob K

Do you have a proper fairing block on that transducer? Before I put a new hole in the hull I would try to make it work where it is. I really can't picture one of these lead sleds getting that far out of the water. Look at www.airmar.com they probably made your 'ducer and may have a fairing block for it. When you say forward bulkhead do you mean the engine room bulkhead? My transducers are just ahead of the engines and I have no problems, but so far my best speed has been 19 kts so this may not be relevant.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Do you have a proper fairing block on that transducer? Before I put a new hole in the hull I would try to make it work where it is. I really can't picture one of these lead sleds getting that far out of the water. Look at www.airmar.com they probably made your 'ducer and may have a fairing block for it. When you say forward bulkhead do you mean the engine room bulkhead? My transducers are just ahead of the engines and I have no problems, but so far my best speed has been 19 kts so this may not be relevant.
    Yes I do have a fairing block and up to 20 kts its fine it after 20 kts that it gets air bubbles. If its flat clam its better so it not that it out of the water it just that it is closer to the edge of where the hull meets air.
    And yes I did mean the foward engine room bulkhead.
    Thanks for the link will look into that site.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Dan,

I have bronze through hull ducer in a fairing block located between the keel and the shaft about a foot or so aft or the trans coupling to the shaft in our 37. The ducer is connected to a Furuno 600 color LCD fishfinder. At cruise (16-19 kts) I get a pretty good picture, probably some turbulence as the picture is not as good as it is at slow speeds.

Almost done with the HI winter project on on the the fun stuff.

Nick

need some posted photos of installation and fairing blocks. I was wondering if you could fair it in with epoxy cabisol , make fairly long slope and flatten it out before the transducer

I will shoot some photos next time I get to the boat. Hopefully next week. I used the fairing block that came with the tranducer. It is urethane tapered shape.

Check the Furuno link for details.

http://www.furuno.com/Furuno/Doc/0/B...%20-%20web.pdf