Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Applying Imron paint

I'm painting a replacement hatch cover that goes over the cabin door on my 38 FBDC. I'm going to roll and tip it.

Just picked up the paint and read the instructions while at the store, it says to use 'Activator'.

Paint $68 a Qt
    Activator $57 pint

Question is, what is the activator for? Do you have to use it? Is it a thinner, hardner?

Thanks in advance, Rick

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com

Re: Applying Imron paint

Yes and no.

The paint will dry without activator. The paint will cure with it.

Its a cross locked polymer that cures to make it so durable so use the activator and get the benefit of the paints durability.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

more paint can reading: it says : FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY by professional, trained painters. Not for sale to or by the general public.

hmmmm........ sounds like some scary paint.

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com

Don't breath the fumes. Use a respirator ( fresh air supply) if spraying and be careful of the overspray as its some tough paint to get off.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

if you are unfamiliar with 2 part paints you really need to read the msds and application sheets. 2 part paints are not you're fathers enamel and can do serious damage to you if you don't take precations.

jim
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

I have sprayed a lot of IMRON over the years on motorcycles/cars/boats/ariplanes and believe it to be the best paint you can apply.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING IT WITHOUT THE APPROPRIATE TOXIC CHEMICAL MASK!!! Don't even mix it without the mask! It is TOXIC. I had a friend collapse while spraying a very small panel in open air without a respirator.

When he awoke in the hospital, the doctor actually told him that if it was up to him they would have ignored him and allowed Darwin's "survival of the Fittest" to work as it should! Per OSHA you should be wearing a suit with a supplied air respirator though if you are not spraying, the need for the suit is probably minimal.

Also, as mentioned, without the activator, it's not even good regular paint. Just use Brightside or something similar if you don't want/need the durability of Imron.

Re rolling and tipping - I have never done this with Imron and, as far as I know, it does not have a good reputation for this. However, I have never researched it. There may be some new recommendations for mixing, etc that make it more suitable for that purpose.

Imron is meant to be sprayed!!!!! If you roll and tip you need a paint that can be rolled and tipped. You use different Catalyst and thinner for the application you are using such a spray or roll. For a small part I would just use the Brightside or Perfection. If you can't match the color you can buy two colors and blend them if you want.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>