Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Liveaboards, Landlubbers, and Little Ones

Good luck my friend.

Bill

'Bird,
    I lived onboard for three summers and I can tell you it's a lot of fun, but a lot more work than living in a house. In a house, electric, gas, water are all taken for granted. As you know, on a boat, you've got to be an electrician, plumber, mechanic and carpenter. In order to balance loads, you may have to wake up a little earler to turn on your hot water heater. Tell a landlubber that and they'll really laugh at you.

The first two summers I lived aboard, it was by myself. The last summer I lived aboard was with my wife while she was pregnant with our first child. We're on a fixed dock and it's no fun to have to jump down to the dock from the gunnel after the water receeds during a Nor'easter in October just to get back onto dry land. For those of you that don't know what a Nor'easter is, it's a Hurricaine after Hurricaine season ends and it blows all the water from the bay back down into the rivers and causes flooding. At least down south, it's still warm.

Another thing, if you are planning on living onboard with the wife, remember that marine toilet paper is a woman's worst friend. No need to comment any further on this topic.

Also, I've had to fill the water tank at odd hours just because I don't like leaving dockside water on overnight and then having to go out to turn on the water before taking a shower in the morning (before turning on the hot water heater).

And then of course, how can you really childproof a boat?

Just my $0.02. Down south, the weather is at least a little more tolerable during the winter months. Filling your water tank during the winter up here would be a whole other story.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

3. Re: Liveaboards, Landlubbers, and Little Ones

Hey Larry, thanks for the contribution. The birthday thread you started for me had a little more entertainment value, but I really do appreciate the serious thought you guys put into this thread.

Trust me, I'vd owned tons of boats, and I do not have any expectations of simply kicking back on a boat thinking nothing will break. No doubt having a toy break is not the same as something breaking in your home. When your toy becomes your home, it is more of an issue that needs immediate attention as it will not just effect your leasure time any more.

LOL Hell, I hate marine toilet paper as much as any of the ladies. Never had a problem with the good ole' Charmin on a boat with VaccuFlush heads. The only problems have been educating guests as to proper use and quantity used.

As far as childproofing, latches on the inside top of the doors should keep the little feller safe and sound if Mommy & Daddy take a nap or he rises before they do. Found that out the hard way and got myself a whole lot of grief from Michelle as Ryan and I took a nap last July or so (something I couldn't help in the drugged daze) and he woke up first. He opened a wing door and strolled out onto the very well protected deck and had himself a little conversation with fellow marina residents who are always around to keep an eye on things like that.

Michelle showed up and called me everything but a responsible father who was sick. Almost a year later, Michelle still uses that as an example of how I can't be trusted to care for my own damn son. Let's not get me started on that path again!

Thanks again for the thought, and don't forget I'll be turning 50 (I hope! ) October 12th! Happy Birthday dear Freebird, your wife's (life's?, Ryan) gone away!

In that regard I've told Michelle that birthdays are rather disturbing these days. I never thought I would be single when I turned 30, I never thought I would be married with no children when I turned 40, I damn sure never thought I would be divorced with a 4 year old when I turned 50!!!

As I've told her, I can't wait to see where my life will be when I turn 60! Hell, I reckon I'll just have to think of my ole' buddy Bob aka Wild Bill, assuming he doesn't kick the bucket before June! Come to think of it, I'll still think about Bob even if he croaks at 59. Could be the 60 scenario that matches the other milestone birthdays which occured under unpredicted circumstances.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

"For those of you that don't know what a Nor'easter is, it's a Hurricaine after Hurricaine season ends and it blows all the water from the bay back down into the rivers and causes flooding. At least down south, it's still warm."

nope... a Nor'easter is a hurricane without "victims" whinning about Fema !

as to the logistics, i've never had to worry about loads except when recharging the inverter bank in summer when we come back with all the ACs running but all it take is setting low charge rate on the remote... i refill my water tank every 3 to 4 days and never ran out of water at the wrong time.

and when a little storm kills power to the neighborhood for a few days, i have a genny and large inverter, which 99% of the houses dont' have.

living aboard on a 50+ hatt. doesn't mean having to compromse on comfort. the onlything i've given up is a 200sqft marble bathroom ... which i used 5 minutes a day.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Freebird,

Most of the stuff has already been adressed, So i will not go into detail.

I have been living aboard since 94? Started with a 1969 Chris Craft 38 Commander, then the 48 Hatt yf. I had a 10 x 20 storage unit and managed to get down to """the real sentimental and important stuff"""" I now have a 5 x 10 storage unit with my harley, snowboarding gear, hockey and other sports equip, memorabilia/pictures, and clothes that are not in season (i live in new england and need heavy jackets etc) It is only five minutes away, so its close when i may need stuff!

It sounds like you are on a soul searching point in your life. Or as you you call yurself a hopeless romantic? I would say do it small first and try it. I had a fionce and she couldnt take it anymore and left. I now have a new wife who lives aboard with me on the HARD and hasent even been out on it yet! If you have one who is even willing to try it you have a keeper.
    I have no comment on the kids other than there are many folks (from reading about it) that have done it.

I think one of the other posts mentioned a video of memories??

A friends grandfather recently told me and my friend he used to work all the time trying to "achieve/save" When he finally stopped he said "" i am to old"" to do the things i have been working/saving for.
    I drive Boats and Save People!!!
    See my projects at the link

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ter/?start=all

6. Re: Liveaboards, Landlubbers, and Little Ones

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal
    "For those of you that don't know what a Nor'easter is, it's a Hurricaine after Hurricaine season ends and it blows all the water from the bay back down into the rivers and causes flooding. At least down south, it's still warm."

nope... a Nor'easter is a hurricane without "victims" whinning about Fema !
    Gee, I think the wind is blowing in from the south. I better batten down the hatches and call FEMA if I find myself up to my ankles in something I really would not want to step in.

This of course is just my opinion, and anything posted on the forum is subject to everyone else's opinion. I believe I heard that right.

Thank you Pascal for the clarification, as referenced above, it was sincerely appreciated. Please excuse me while I locate my emergency weather radio and my hipwaders.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

Reggie, late in the game as usual, I know.

IMHO there are two kinds of live aboards.

1) Cruisers. These people are virtually always on the move. They may be doing the Great Loop or bouncing around the Caribbean in the winter and New England in the summer. They may stop at any given location for a day or two, or maybe just a month or so. But generally they are on the move. They happen to be "living aboard". My choice.

2) "Live aboards". These are the folks who enjoy the economics of living on their boat at the marina and work nearby. The boat rarely (or never) goes out. Their original dream was to live on the boat and do some cruising as well. The problem is, because they "live aboard", come Saturday they are ready to get off the boat and drive somewhere. Anything but hang around the marina (and boat). If they do decide to go somewhere it's either a drive to the mountains or to visit the inlaws. What begins to hinder their actual boating is a life style that is cluttered with hanging plants all over the aft deck (+). Potted plants around their lines on the dock. All types of personal belongings throughout the salon and galley that take half a day to secure. And as you would guess because they so seldom get underway they are hampered by engine, fuel, strainer, fouling and a host of other problems. So, after a period of time many give up on cruising the boat and it succumbs to the condo effect. Oh, and you never see the "live aboard" types at the pump out either.

I hope you can still work out many of the other family issues.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

8. Re: Liveaboards, Landlubbers, and Little Ones

LOL Brother Bill, always better late than never!

That seems to have become my motto in life as I seem to be running behind on everything in life compared to most people except for the fact I started my business at age 23.

I never had the first date until I was 19 years old, dated her for seven years til I grew up and she didn't.

About one month later, I found the "one" girl (actually, she found me ) in my life to take the place of the other "one" and thought she was "the one". 3 1/2 years later having spent 2 1/2 in front of a marriage counselor, she left me. Went back to the counselor to try to figure out what the hell happened, he told me he couldn't tell me this when we were coming as a couple, but if she came back he thought I should know she had a personality disorder! Duh, you think so Doc?

A year later I met a sweet, lovely, and beautiful girl who was seven years my senior, but didn't come close to looking or acting it. Very early into a very good relationship, she announced she expect us to be married and for her to become pregnant within the next year. Everything I always wanted, just not right now. I've no doubt she would have followed me anywhere and would have loved the liveaboard lifestyle. BTW I am a combination of the two types of boaters you outlined. I'll bet that comes as a real shock huh? You're not going to believe this, but in the middle of typing this, my marina neighbor called and said my holding tank alarm was going off! How the heck can that be since I haven't been on it since Friday before last?

Did the off and on thing for about 2 years, then met the misses thinking she was the "one", but now I am looking at becoming "one" with myself once again. "One" little problem keeps me from being "one" with myself because he is a part of me.

Now my lifelong dream of living on a boat has two problems named Michelle and Ryan. I have the boat capable of fulfilling the dream, but I feel like my dream boat marriage has a leak which is overpowering my bailing cup capacity. I'm bailing my ass off, but the water is coming in faster than I can scoop it out! Is it time to quit bailing and simply abandon ship, or should I find myself a bigger bailing cup?

Mopester, thanks for your contribution, all points well taken especially the one about working all your life to get to where you want to be only to find you have to be somewhere else because you are to old to be where you wanted to be.

That will be all I have to say right now, but I'll be back later.

9. Re: Liveaboards, Landlubbers, and Little Ones

Randy,
    Go pick up some Latitude & Attitude Magazines sometime.

Almost all of them have an article on familes with kids onboard. Most are infants but the parents take them sailing all over the world (Yes it's mostly a sailboat mag, but has great writeups and pics of semi naked women, besides I was given about 40 magazines a few months ago).

Almost forgot, Livingaboard Magazine !!!
    Last edited by Jaxfishgyd; 03-06-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

10. Re: Liveaboards, Landlubbers, and Little Ones

Thanks Charlie, I'll see if I can find that magazine. Who knows, maybe a sailboat could be in my future some day!

Okay JB, I'm giving you yet another chance to redeem me!

You reckon West Marine carries that magazine? If so, I'll use one of the $100's of dollars in rebate coupons I've received in the mail as I use their credit card as much as possible for everything. Then I'll come back on here and complain about how much higher their price was even though I got it for free!

PS No offense intended for those who shop at WM despite their high prices. Just my opposing view of those expressing their opinions on this forum, that's all.
    Last edited by Freebird; 03-06-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: taking higher road