Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Floor Progress

Re: Floor Progress

Chris,
    It's beautiful work. Part of this is the bridge deck, right? And then some of it is the salon, with the engine hatches? Very impressive, it's going to be stunning.

Several years back, I had an old beat-up 44' Striker, that I lived on, outdoors, in Baltimore. So by the end of the winter, the boat was good and dirty. I had also spent the whole winter restoring the vintage Lee's fighting chair, and first nice day, I put the reassembled chair (all new varnish, rechromed metal, etc) out on the aft deck.

Well, it looked great. It was the only decent thing on the boat, and all my neighbors made various remarks about how the chair was going to be so embarrassed it would hop off the boat and find somewhere else to perch.

So, Chris, if you're anything like me, you'll have to restore the entire rest of the boat. Unless, of course, you have been doing that and you are finishing with the cherry deck. Which is what I hope, for your sake. If I had a deck like that, I'd get some stanchions and velvet ropes and I wouldn't let anyone walk on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal
    Chris,

So, Chris, if you're anything like me, you'll have to restore the entire rest of the boat. Unless, of course, you have been doing that and you are finishing with the cherry deck. Which is what I hope, for your sake. If I had a deck like that, I'd get some stanchions and velvet ropes and I wouldn't let anyone walk on it.

Jim, I've seen the rest of the boat and it's as nice as the new floor. It's just gonna be out of this world, now. Fantastic work Chris!
    Eric

I knew it was going to look good.

Yaw been making some real progress!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Paul
    I am useing Maritime installation epoxy from Maritime in Stuart, FL.
    Chris

5. Re: Floor Progress

Cool,

But not familiar with their product and how it compares to the West System. Does it take time to set, and if so, how are you holding down the planks until they set ?

I thought I saw some blocks, but am not sure.

I epoxied down a teak deck about 12 years ago using 1/4 solid teak in strips up to 20 feet long. I used number 8 screws dipped in some mold release . I pre-fit several strips, used the screw with a fender washer as a spacing between planks and to hold them down.

Then when the screws were removed, I mixed some black coloring agent in the epoxy, taped the teak off, and filled the seams just like caulking.

6. Re: Floor Progress

Just visited the site.

Interesting.

Looks like they have the space needed to pre-build custom decks and ship them out.

Chris, I'll echo all the comments about your beautiful work.

I know this will sound like the only questionable comment and I apologize but I'm curious about one point.

I was under the impression that cherry was not suitable for marine use. Why did you select cherry over some of the "known" marine woods like teak or mahogany? Was it strictly because you prefer the look of cherry? Or is my impression of cherry as a non-marine wood in error? (entirely possible - I am NOT a wood worker.)

In any case and as everyone has stated, it will be very attractive!

Fantastic detail work. The craftsmanship is incredible from the pictures and probably dramatically better in real life. Thanks for posting the pics and your progress.

Bill

9. Re: Floor Progress

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    Chris, I'll echo all the comments about your beautiful work.

I know this will sound like the only questionable comment and I apologize but I'm curious about one point.

I was under the impression that cherry was not suitable for marine use. Why did you select cherry over some of the "known" marine woods like teak or mahogany? Was it strictly because you prefer the look of cherry? Or is my impression of cherry as a non-marine wood in error? (entirely possible - I am NOT a wood worker.)

In any case and as everyone has stated, it will be very attractive!
    Honestly that was a concern of mine. Cherry will turn black and can rot quickly when exposed to water. I believe I read where they were using the two part epithane varnish, which will certainly help.

Chris,

Nice job!!!

That framing work takes a lot of small cuts and you've really done it well. It will be a beautiful product when finished.

Doug Shuman